How good are DC Crusaders comics?

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

nrocket
Poor
Poor

How good are DC Crusaders comics?

Post by nrocket » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Without spoilers let me know if they are worth picking up thanks.

leonmallett
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Re: How good are DC Crusaders comics?

Post by leonmallett » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 am

nrocket wrote:Without spoilers let me know if they are worth picking up thanks.
I think it depends on who you ask! That is not being facetious, I promise, but rather that they do divide opinion.

For me the !mpact line had some good books that I really enjoyed (Crusaders, Comet, Crucible, Jaguar) and two real gems in the Black Hood (my favourite !mpact book) and The Fly.

From the DC-Red Circle stable, I enjoyed all the work, I just wish there had been time to explain more about some of the secondary characters (like Comet, Mr. Justice who had a one-panel cameo, Steel Sterling, War Eagle). The Web had a brilliant premise in my opinion, but is one of those things that may put some fans of the original incarnation off. I liked the reinvention of the Hangman. The Shield felt like he was modernized in a positive way. Inferno took too much time to gain any traction, which I think hurt the story and character development at least if you are looking for straight-up superheroics, and was in fact arguably hampered by the most interesting aspect of its premise (a kind of Bourne movies meets superheroics).
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

leonmallett
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Post by leonmallett » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 am

And by the way, welcome aboard.

A hint, avoid the smileys! LOL.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

nrocket
Poor
Poor

Post by nrocket » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:17 am

leonmallett wrote:And by the way, welcome aboard.

A hint, avoid the smileys! LOL.

Got it Thanks a lot.

Captain Sprocket
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Post by Captain Sprocket » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:45 pm

The Captain thinks DC's Web was excellent-plus!

Calum
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Post by Calum » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:22 pm

The Web was pretty good, and The Shield was pretty good too, for a super-soldier type comic, and the four Red Circle "one shots" are a must too if you're getting the Web and Shield. I personally felt the actual seven issues of The Mighty Crusaders were less good though. A bit rushed and hectic, the usual DC failings from this period.

Again the !mpact stuff was very good, but i thought the individual titles all worked better than "The Crusaders" title itself, though it feeds into the (i thought) excellent "Crucible" miniseries which puts a finale to the !mpact storyline(s).

By the way, i just put up some DC Red Circle stuff on ebay.co.uk if you're interested and i also have a complete collection of !mpact from the nineties that is about to get listed on ebay unless someone wants to make me a (reasonable) offer for some or all of it.

(HERE IS my ebay listings page)

PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!