Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! The MLJ Companion

The MLJ Companion

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:11 am
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The MLJ Companion – Originally $31.95 Sale: $27.16

Save: 15% off

288 page Trade Paperback with COLOR – by Rik Offenberger and Paul Castiglia

THE MLJ COMPANION documents the complete history of Archie Comics’ super-hero characters known as the “Mighty Crusaders”—The Shield, Black Hood, Steel Sterling, Hangman, Mr. Justice, The Fly, and many others. It features in-depth examinations of each era of the characters’ extensive history: The Golden Age (beginning with the Shield, the first patriotic super-hero, who pre-dated Captain America by a full year), the Silver Age (spotlighting those offbeat, campy Mighty Comics issues, and The Fly and Jaguar), the Bronze Age (with the Red Circle line, and the !mpact imprint published by DC Comics), up to the Modern Age, with its Dark Circle imprint (featuring such fan-favorites series as “The Fox” by Mark Waid and Dean Haspiel). Plus: Learn what “MLJ” stands for! Uncover such rarities as the Mighty Crusaders board game, and the Shadow’s short-lived career as a spandex-clad superhero! Discover the ill-fated Spectrum line of comics, that was abruptly halted due to its violent content! See where the super-heroes crossed over into Archie, Betty, and Veronica’s world! And read interviews with Irv Novick, Dick Ayers, Rich Buckler, Bill DuBay, Steve Englehart, Jim Valentino, Jimmy Palmiotti, Kelly Jones, Michael Uslan, and others who chronicled the Mighty Crusaders’ exploits from the 1940s to today! By Rik Offenberger and Paul Castiglia, with a cover by Irv Novick and Joe Rubinstein. INCLUDES 64 FULL-COLOR PAGES OF KEY MLJ STORIES!
ISBN-13: 978-1-60549-067-0
ISBN-10: 1-60549-067-9
ORDER HERE
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:46 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Congratulations on this Rik. I spoke with my LCS today and asked for them to order me a copy (the manager will be ordering one for himself as an MLJ fan up to the 80's era).
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:03 am
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Thanks, Paul and I have been working on this for a very long time. Can't wait to see it in print
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:47 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Rik wrote:
Thanks, Paul and I have been working on this for a very long time. Can't wait to see it in print

I bet!

It will be a great moment when you have a print copy in hand I am absolutely sure of that. ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Yes, congratulations on this Rik.
Great accomplishment.
Seems the cover has changed a bit.... but the interiors (from what I've seen) look great. Nice, clean and crisp.
It's such a thrill to see the MLJ guys, the Kirby Shield and The Fly .... and The Mighty Crusaders ... in one package.

It goes without saying that I wished someone would return The MLJ (and yes, even The Wizard) to the comic book pages again.

It's been so frustrating to NOT see these heroes return.!!

But, Rik, ... you've sure done your part. Congratulations ... and thanks.

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 am
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I was reading the 'Archie Adventure Series' ... The Original SHIELD... just last night.
I thought Martin Greim did an admirable job on The Shield's adventures as did Dick Ayers.

I tried to talk Mark Waid into writing our heroes... and I thought there was a chance he might undertake it when I talked to him at a Convention a couple years ago.
Dark Circle came out instead... to my great disappointment.
I look at that cover of ALTER-EGO #96 and wished Mike Machlan or Ordway or someone like them .... and a strong writer would have had a chance.

At this point I'm about ready to give up any dreams of the MLJ's return.
I've been hoping for better since 1965 ... but I see no reason to continue.

Rik's book may be the tombstone for the MLJ.... for me.
Any hope for seeing The SHIELD and THE WIZARD team-up and fight crime seems to be dashed.

And any return of The Black Hood, Steel Sterling, The Hangman, Mr. Justice or any of the rest of the MLJ... beyond my most fevered dreams.
What a world.!!!

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:30 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Well, I got The MLJ Companion today and it looks GREAT.!!
NICE JOB--- to everybody who had a hand in it.
Some real added insight to the MLJ ... and the other heroes. Great stories of BLACK HOOD battling The Skull, STEEL STERLING making his appearance and battling the Black Knight, an adventure of The WEB, a story of THE SHIELD and Dusty, --- the death of THE COMET and the beginning of THE HANGMAN... AND so much more.

This is great stuff for ANY MLJ fan.

It just shows (to me, anyway) that there is so much potential in these exact heroes.... more potential than anywhere else in comicdom....and with the 'right' writers and artists --- these heroes could be big stuff on the comic racks, again.

(I had hoped that Mark Waid was going to do a little writing for Red Circle/Archie ... and we would see the return of these heroes. Then, all we would need is an 'exciting' and talented artist.)

This is under: 'EVERYONE is a Critic'.
I haven't read through the 'COMPANION' yet but I paged thru.
I didn't see an article on 'The Shield and The Wizard cross-over'. It was the first or one of the first EVER in comics ... where the two heroes meet. I would have punched that up a little. Especially those covers with the heroes 'working' together.
(Yeah, ok, ... I really wanted to see those two (or Four --counting Dusty and Roy) back together again... being a big fan of The Wizard and The Shield team.... but .... I guess that's for the next 'Companion'.)

For my money, I would have loved to see a lot more MLJ covers with the heroes 'teamed-up' and working together.
And an issue by issue break-down of the villains they fought with all of those beautiful MLJ covers.

Thank goodness Buckler drew THE BLACK HOOD in his real costume and hood on the Companion cover instead of Morrow's motorcycle outfit that had that really bad hood. Man, how I dislike that 'distraction'.

Well, like I said... for me -- this is probably the tombstone on the MLJ heroes. I've done just about all I could over the last 50 years to get them to return. (High point was Buckler's take on The Mighty Crusaders in the '80's and Martin L. Greim's The Original Shield.... which was a really fun read.)

...so, I guess it's adios ....!!!

(Well, ok.. not exactly. I'm writing a MLJ story with The Shield, Dusty, The Wizard, Roy, Zambini, Kalthar, and Mr. Justice ... and how they came together. ....but after that .... (and maybe after a few more stories based on some of those MLJ covers.... ) .... it's adios.!!

(I hope.) ....reluctantly.

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!