Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! Now The Web is a girl?

Now The Web is a girl?

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:17 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Click on the picture to read the story at FIRST COMICS NEWS.

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:30 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

These guys...

The Captain's "gut feeling" is they're making these comics solely to get movie or TV producers to license the characters, no other reason. (Same with the "new" Archie, too.)

According to Diamond, Archie's biggest sellers in May were ARCHIE VS. PREDATOR (28,000 copies, actually a Dark Horse book), AFTERLIFE (23,000), SABRINA (12,000) & SONIC UNIVERSE (8,000). The Dark Circle titles sell about 5,000. The top book on Diamond's list was Marvel's SECRET WARS with over a half million copies. Archie Digests do well because those are sold in supermarkets, drug stores & convenience stores.

So the questions are: are the Dark Circle books profitable & if not, what's the point of publishing those?

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

I have no issue with there being yet another new iteration of the character's names: they have been reinvented so many times that it is only natural it was going to happen again, especially as at least one iteration of re-imaginings never made it to print (Spectrum?).

I also have no problem in Archie packaging them for movies/TV - if that is what Archie need to do to survive, then that is what they need to do. Long time readers can vote with their wallets - it is what I have done following DC's new 52 for example.

There is a small handful of fans who will yearn for the characters as they were originally incarnated, but I think that ship has clearly sailed, and I don't say that to be mean-spirited or callous to feelings, just trying to be realistic. Playing to that small handful is not going to happen for whatever reasons, so Archie felt compelled to go another route. It may not work out, and probably won't, but revisiting a convoluted but very episodic continuity that was extremely varied is just not a good sell to new readers.

Our 'wants' as customers may simply not be viable business options; I suspect that is how Archie sees it and hence that is why I think they have tried this route.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:16 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

As for the new Web, I do look forward to the Dark Circle universe feeling a little more shared in outlook and population.

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:06 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
There is a small handful of fans who will yearn for the characters as they were originally incarnated, but I think that ship has clearly sailed...

The Captain takes no offense & agrees 100% with your post. Having said that, after years of supporting these characters in whatever incarnation, The Captain is not buying any of these books.

The Captain enjoyed the DC Red Circle version of The Web & thinks that plot line would have been worth continuing into this new universe.

Post Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:43 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
There is a small handful of fans who will yearn for the characters as they were originally incarnated, but I think that ship has clearly sailed...

The Captain takes no offense & agrees 100% with your post. Having said that, after years of supporting these characters in whatever incarnation, The Captain is not buying any of these books.

I can empathise with that; I started reading DC as my primary comics in 1979, and with the New 52 I felt that was a DCU I wanted no part of, with too much self-obsessed focus on continuity fixes and a sense of nihilism in too many books that I did not associate with DC before the Didio era.

The Captain enjoyed the DC Red Circle version of The Web & thinks that plot line would have been worth continuing into this new universe.

Totally agreed; It was a true gem, and a brilliant blue-print for what I would have liked for the Dark Circle version. Similarly, although my perfect Black Hood is in fact the !mpact version, I have enjoyed the hard-boiled new iteration, but totally accept it is some distance from what went before in MLJ/Red Circle.

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!