Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! Who owns what?

Who owns what?

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The Captain is curious: Who has the rights to DC's !mpact & Red Circle lines? Specifically, which company gets to reprint the material for back-up stories or TPBs? The Captain thinks a continuation of the DC Web "franchise hero" concept/Fly Girl partnership in the new Red Circle-verse can be fun!

ImageImage

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

it is my non professional understanding that DC owns characters that they created, such as The Jaguar (Maria deGuzman) and Flygirl (from DC Web #10), but that the rights for characters such as Hangman, The Web, The Shield, The Fox etc.

DC might get into a little bit of stickiness because their Jaguar and Flygirl are named after existing characters, but it's not really relevant anyway since i don't think anyone will be interested in (or able to) reprint this material. The stories contain characters owned by Archie as well as those owned by DC, so it would be a nightmare figuring it out for them, in addition to the fact that Archie will have no interest in boosting the obsolete DC versions of their own characters who they're trying to launch successfully in their own right.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
The Captain is curious: Who has the rights to DC's !mpact & Red Circle lines? Specifically, which company gets to reprint the material for back-up stories or TPBs? The Captain thinks a continuation of the DC Web "franchise hero" concept/Fly Girl partnership in the new Red Circle-verse can be fun!

ImageImage

Not sure at all about the rights issue thing, but I thought the DC-Red Circle take on the Web was a genuinely innovative story concept, and a series I very much enjoyed (and I would love to see Roger Robinson draw something for Dark Circle Comics).
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 pm
Fly-Man User avatar
Poor
Poor

If you check your Impact comics you'll see that the copyrights belong to Archie. DC owns none of it. They merely licensed it. Archie owns the reprint rights and the characters.

I also read that Archie's arrangement with Joe Simon gives Archie the reprint rights and Joe Simon ownership of the Fly, which is why the Fly is suddenly nonexistent in Archie super hero stories. Which is a shame because he was my favorite Archie hero.

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!