Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network Comic Book Reviews Archie's Weird Mysteries Halloween Ashcan

Archie's Weird Mysteries Halloween Ashcan

Reviews for the various Mighty Crusaders Comics.

Moderator: Rik

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

This is a little ashcan issue (in a diminutive A5 size!) given away as a promotion, dated SEP 99. It's an Archie's Weird Mysteries story, set somewhere after AWM issue 1 and before AWM issue 3. There's a 3 page leadin, where Archie and his friends go to the comic book shop, then Archie gets involved in a six page imaginary story that nobody else who was present remembers (during which Sonic The Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, The Shield, The Comet, Steel Sterling and Blackjack appear to battle some mysterious ghouls and ghosts that have also just appeared. Then there's a quick 3 page wrap up where (in my opinion) Archie's lack of concern for the fact that his vivid and lucid, not to mention totally unbelievable, experience was not apparently experienced by anyone else is very worrying indeed.

If you're a Mighty Crusaders completist, or an AWM completist, you'll want this issue. It is a good issue, but given its probable scarcity (given that it's an ashcan and was never "sold") it's not worth hunting down purely for the story I would say (even though it's the only time that Sonic The Hedgehog has ever or probably will ever appear with members of the Mighty Crusaders).

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

I hunted it down since when I 'get into' a particular universe or line of characters, I tend to be a bit of a completist (especially those out of regular publication). My interest here was purely for the Mighty Crusaders characters, so I wasn't as troubled about the resolution as Calum. The story is a little messy in terms of trying to cram so much into a short space, but fun nonetheless.

I'd love to see a regular Mighty Crusaders book either drawn in an 'animated' style like that used here and AWM 3 and 14, or a more straight style.

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 pm
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

me too! for heavens' sake, if Archie can publish something like AWM, then surely they can have a crusaders book with rotating solo backups, they could make it make money! the previous incarnations of the MLJ/Archie adventure/Radio/Red Circle/!mpact line have always failed only because they have tried to publish too many books at once.

Return to Comic Book Reviews