Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network Other Boards Tony's Online Polls

Tony's Online Polls

These are threads from other boards that are represented here for historic interest.

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:56 am
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:02 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

PR: Bring back the Mighty Crusaders!

Posted By: Tony Isabella<tony@wfcomics.com>
Date: SAT, 7/9/05, 4:08 p.m.

Here's a note I received from comics fan Richard Williams:

Fans and supporter of Archie Comic's Mighty Crusaders have band together to demand their return to the pages of Archie Comics. Archie Comics said they listen to their fans so their fans have come together to make their voice heard.

On July 1, 2005 a movement know as BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS has started with and on line petition at Petition Online.com and a website at Bring Back The Crusaders.com. Their goal being to bring back a group of Super Hero they loved from their childhood.

Archie Comics produces a high quality product that is wholesome and suitable for all ages. At a time when super heroes are hotter then ever; including feature films with Superman, Batman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Constantine, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Spiderman, Daredevil, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Electra, the Punisher and X-Men; Archie Comics has ignored their super hero fans. We want to shine a light on this and encourage Archie to return their super hero team, the Mighty Crusaders to print.

Please led us your support and sign our petition.

TONY HERE:

For what it's worth, I'd not be amiss to working on any or all of these characters. I like the Archie Comics folks and have considerable affection for the Fly, the Jaguar, the Shield, and the rest.

Tony
Rik
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:23 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Re:PR: Bring back the Mighty Crusaders!

Posted By: Kevin Breen <moonled@yahoo.com>
Date: MON, 7/11/05, 12:03 a.m.

In Response To: PR: Bring back the Mighty Crusaders! (Tony Isabella)

Tony wrote:
On July 1, 2005 a movement know as BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS has started with and on line petition at Petition Online.com and a website at Bring Back The Crusaders.com. Their goal being to bring back a group of Super Hero they loved from their childhood.
TONY HERE: For what it's worth, I'd not be amiss to working on any or all of these characters.

I love these characters, although I never cared for the way they were handled. The Impact line was good but pretty far from the originals. But if it would inspire more GA reprints like their Shield volume, or new Tony comics, I'm in!

~Kevin
Rik

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:27 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Re:PR: Bring back the Mighty Crusaders!

Posted By: Kevin Breen <moonled@yahoo.com>
Date: MON, 7/11/05, 12:05 a.m.

In Response To: PR: Bring back the Mighty Crusaders! (Tony Isabella)

Tony wrote:
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS

only call them something else. Crusaders is a loaded term these days.

~Kevin
Rik

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:35 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Reviews and commentary by Tony Isabella
"America's Most Beloved Comic-Book Writer & Columnist"

TONY'S ONLINE TIPS

for Tuesday, August 2, 2005

TONY POLLS

Every Tuesday, I post new questions on my TONY POLLS. A few weeks back, inspired by an online petition asking Archie Comics to revive THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS, I asked you for your thoughts on such a revival. Here are the results...

A group of comics fans are petitioning Archie to publish a revival of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS. If the characters were revived, and assuming the creative team was acceptable to you, would you buy their comic book?

YES.....69.35%
No.....30.65%

One of my readers commented he thought I'd loaded the dice by including that bit about the creative team. That wasn't my intent, but I can see that being a valid question. In any case, with the question as it was worded, I voted YES.

If the Mighty Crusaders were revived, which of these super-hero team styles would suit you best?

AVENGERS (Roy Thomas).....19.17%
JSA (current series).....10%
Avengers (Kurt Busiek).....9.17%
Fantastic Four (Stan Lee & Jack Kirby).....7.50%
JLA (Grant Morrison).....7.50%
Justice League (Kieth Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, & Kevin Maguire).....7.50%
Teen Titans (Marv Wolfman & George Perez).....6.67%
Defenders (Steve Gerber).....5.83%
Justice League of America (Gardner Fox).....5%
Super Friends (E. Nelson Bridwell).....5%
Mighty Crusaders (Jerry Siegel & Paul Reinman).....3.33%
Batman and the Outsiders (Mike W. Barr).....2.50%
THUNDER Agents (Wally Wood & company).....2.50%
Authority (Warren Ellis)....0.83%
Avengers (Brian Michael Bendis).....0%
Ultimates (Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch).....0%
Watchmen (Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons).....0%
X-Men (Chris Claremont).....0%
X-Men (Grant Morrison).....0%
Other......0%

Clearly, no one wanted a grim-and-gritty approach here...with the majority, including myself, going with the traditional AVENGERS ala Roy Thomas. I considered Mike Barr's Batman and the Outsiders and Kurt Busiek's Avengers as well, but Roy's AVENGERS was pretty much my favorite comic book the entire time he was writing it and thus got my vote.

Which of these classic version of Mighty Crusaders heroes would you most like to see in his or her own title?

FLY.....20.72%
Shield.....19.82%
Hangman.....11.71%
Black Hood.....10.81%
Comet.....6.31%
Cat Girl.....4.50%
Fox.....4.50%
Jaguar.....4.50%
Steel Sterling.....4.50%
Web.....3.60%
Fly Girl.....2.70%
Bob Phantom.....1.80%
Wizard.....1.80%
Black Jack.....0.90%
Mr. Justice.....0.90%
Zambini.....0.90%
Captain Flag and Yank.....0%
Fireball.....0%
Firefly.....0%
Inferno.....0%

I was all over the place on this one, mostly because I started thinking how *I* would write these heroes. I considered the Fly, but couldn't stop thinking of him as an Archie version of Marvel's Daredevil - the Fly is also a lawyer in his civilian identity and, by virtue of his name, would be particularly well-suited to take out the criminal trash - but was afraid Fly Girl would end up with a knife through her heart.

I considered the Shield, but, given the times, any patriotic hero I wrote would have to make his first priority getting the Bush administration out of office and into prison. That might be a tad too controversial for Archie Comics.

I considered the Web, who unfairly suffers the disrespect and ire of his wife, first as a lighthearted Neil Simon kind of super-hero and then as a dark matrimonial comedy. So I talked myself out of that vote pretty quick.

I ended up voting for THE JAGUAR because I think his multitude of animal powers could be fun to write. I might even be able to do some stories on my environmental concerns.

Have you signed/plan to sign the above-mentioned "Bring Back the Mighty Crusaders" petition?

Yes.....31.25%
No.....68.75%

I hate to admit this, but I didn't sign the petition. I have had some bad experiences with petitions in the past. So I decided to show my support in other ways. Like these polls.

However, if *you* haven't signed the petition and would like to, you can do so at: Bring Back The Crusaders.com

Given that "crusaders" can be a loaded word in these days of the West invading the Middle East, do you think this super-team would be better served by taking a new name?

Yes....11.86%
No.....80.51%
Undecided.....7.63%

I considered all three of these options. I voted UNDECIDED, but I'm now leaning towards NO. Anyone who would confuse the Fly and his pals for the pseudo-religions pirates who used Jesus as an excuse to invade and plunder likely wouldn't give a fig about this comic book anyway.

This week's TONY POLLS questions are mostly concerned with how and on what you spend your comics-buying cash. You can cast your votes at:Tony's Polls

Thanks for spending a part of your day with me. I'll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

Tony Isabella
Rik

Return to Other Boards