Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network Other Boards Joe Shuster Awards and Mighty Crusaders

Joe Shuster Awards and Mighty Crusaders

These are threads from other boards that are represented here for historic interest.

Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:24 pm
Phil Latter

Heidi and Bryan,

Firstly, Heidi, thanks for shooting that Shusters video. Bryan, thanks for bringing our attention to it with the URL link below.

Unfortunately, when we moved to our new residence a couple of months ago, my home PC's speakers hasn't had proper computer sound since the move. When I turn on my PC's speakers, what I hear every time is a local radio station, oddly enough.

There is a high voltage transmission tower right next to me, just across a deep gorge, through which runs a railway track. Presumably, my PC's speakers are picking up a radio station, the lines of which go through that tower. I am guessing that is perhaps the reason for the problem. Thus, I wasn't able to hear the video. Gotta make that call to my service provider.

This said, and in other news: awhile back on this group, I was talking about Terry Hooper's and my interest in and plans for a Mighty Crusaders project.

At that time, I shared a 'The Fly' updated costume rendering from my pen.

The planned project isn't dead, it's just delayed. Terry at present is hard at work at some other pre-scheduled comics commitments.

Meantime, I've decided that perhaps the best way to do this is in chapters. I'm working on my own chapter right now that I'm enthusiastically working on.

Last night, I was detailing a new two-page spread that will feature all or most of The Mighty Crusaders, in the middle of a grand royale fight scene. Jumping around, kicking, flying, punching, defending. I still haven't decided who the bad guys are, yet. I based the scene on the 1983 Mighty Crusaders vol. 2 # 2 issue two page wraparound cover spread reproduced here as scans.

I haven't decided, for this tribute spread, (also part of the chapter I will be drawing), who the bad guys are, yet. My initial enthused idea was Nazis in World War Two. But then it struck me that The Fly wasn't operating then, and certainly not in the new costume that I forced him at gunpoint to wear.

In the 1980's and 1960's, part of the problem was that The Mighty Crusaders had far too many characters and supporting characters and not enough bad guys. And little to no interesting or non corny characters. That explains, perhaps why Rick Buckler, in the comic book reproduced below, has heroes fighting heroes, or fighting evil versions of those heroes.

Heroes SHOULD be heroes, not villains. Thus, you'll see none of them in Terry's and my version, when we're done.

Once I have this new two page spread done, I'll share it with you right here.

Tonight, more Cartesian Man # 2.

Darcy, I owe you an email/-post, based on the attachment you sent me about a Canadian Heroes text story you saw on the web.

I'll get back to you tonight, following work.

Best Wishes,

Phil Latter

Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:37 pm
darci386

Phil,
Re: your Mighty Crusaders stories. Some of my favorite stories
from "The Fly" included issues 20 "The Missing Fly Ring" (July 1962)
and 25 "The Countess of Crime" (April 1963). In the first, female
felons Linda Drake, Gilda, and an unnamed third girl used Kim
Brand's lost ring to become Fly-Girls. In the second, a villainess
used electroshock to brainwash Fly-Girl into becoming her slave. I
hope you'll reconsider your opinion on the bad guys.
Unfortunately, I can't offer any help on the electrical interference
on your PC. I've heard sometimes better-shielded cables might help.
Hope this helps,
Darci

Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:39 pm
Reuben Reuben

Yes , there were a lot of good villains in the Archie's superheroes 60s run. Phil, please see my personal email to you.
Reuben

Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:41 pm
Phil Latter

Darcy and Reuben,

Sorry, I'd better clarify. I didn't mean we won't be using villains in our new M.C comics story. What I meant was, we won't be using heroes AS villains, as Mighty Crusaders vol. 2 # 2 did.

Heroes will be heroes, and villains will be villains.

I never 'bought' the idea of The Hangman, The Blackhood changing their minds about being heroes, and deciding to be villains, or The Comet, in his blue and red outfit, being a killer of the villains, as in the golden age stories.

Heroes can have interesting personalities with dark qualities (nobody's perfect) without being villains, without beating their wives, without being a double agent working as hero and villain. That's what I want to get back to.

At the same time, the 1960's Mighty Crusaders stories were much, much too corny, in my view.

I liked the 1980's series two much better, except for the later issues, where the quality went to hell and they just became silly again.

Darcy, while I don't have all of the Silver Age The Fly/-Flyman issues, I have a goodly number of them and in fact, bought five or six more while in Toronto about this time this year. While I wasn't a fan of The Fly original outfit, I did like the stories and the series itself. I have some favourites, too.

Best,

Phil Latter

Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm
Donald Bearden

Phil,

If you want my input on what should be done with the Mighty Crusaders, contact me on Yahoo messenger. I may not be able to stay on long, but I would rather kick ideas around with you than on the site. You know I have different plot ideas from some people and I don't really want to start a thread of tear up and add to unless we get something serious going that needs discussed.

Don

Post Wed May 03, 2006 7:01 pm
Phil Latter

Don,

I'd love to chat about that with you on Messenger. Now you've really got me curious what you've got in mind about The Mighty Crusaders.

Unfortunately, it's late here, and I'm just checking in to see what posts and emails I have waiting, after being off the computer for some hours.

I can't do Messenger tonight.
But, how about tomorrow night-?
I'd like to do it then.

In the meantime, here are some more pages of Cartesian Man # 2-!

Best,

Phil Latter

Post Wed May 03, 2006 7:04 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Phil,

I have to ask, since you are Canadian will these be the Red Circle versions or the EF Howard versions of the heroes?
If you notice the Canadian Shield has the Union Jack, the Canadian Captain Commando is blue and green the Canadian Red Rube has a blue shirt and the Canadian Black Hood is red.

Rik
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:42 pm
Reuben Reuben

Phil.
My point was about your statement that Buckler probably used heroes as villains because he didn't have any villains to draw from. As, I stated there were plenty of good villains (silliness aside) that Archie had that could have been used. There were apparently a number of problems with the 1980s series. Some of the villains that Buckler created were rather lame. Although, given a chance to develop, I think Dream Demon had potential. Rogue Star would have been a good foil for the Comet.
I also agree that heroes should be heroes, not like many of the "heroes" in comic books today.
Reuben

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:43 pm
Robert Pincombe

Hi Guys,

I suspect that Buckler's use of other MLJ heroes as villains for the
second issue (brainwashed or not) was more for the opportunity to draw
more of the heroes while he had the chance than just no villains to
draw from! He wasn't sure if the series would fly so why not have some
fun and let readers see a whack of golden age characters right away?

Robert

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm
Reuben Reuben

I agree. I realize why he used the heroes. it was part of the plot, however, I seem to remember that they were not the actual heroes but facsimiles. My point was to point out to Phil that his stement about there not being any interesting Archie villians was incorrect. There were many good villains that appeared throughout the 60s run of books that Archie failed to develop. Some examples: Roxr, Iron-Fist, Phantasmon. Also, the Spider, after Simon left, was not handled property. Apparently they didn't know what to do with the character, since he changed from a costumed villain to a Lex Luthor type, and back to a costumed villain. All silliness aside, there were many good villains that weren't developed as such.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 pm
Robert Pincombe

No worries Rueben, I wasn't trying to question that point, which you
made quite clear. Just throwing my two cents in on Buckler's run.

Cheers,

Robert

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:51 pm
TerryHooper

Being impartial here.....I loved many of the 1940s villains and those 1960s bad guys. Its all in my book:"I was A Super Villain Group:.,Lies & 16mm Cameras"...........

that was a joke

The Spider was a lovely villain and there were many others. Yes,those Ultra heroes used as baddies WERE facsimilies. I think Archie/MLJ/Red Circle have characters with great potential and the goodies were never super unstoppable -they were captured,roughed up and if it was a tough villain they were REALLY up against it.

There were the super powered guys but more costumed crime-fighters rough-housing it. I think that's why the characters worked in the 1940s. I think Buckler was having fun drawing but why Mighty Crusaders simpley nose-dived into oblivion after he left,or why he left,is a mystery.
Terry

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:54 pm
Reuben Reuben

Thanks. They were all a neat bunch of characters (see Terry's email). Worht bringing back, but I think we've all been there before. lol.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:56 pm
TerryHooper

Sure,and there IS a site for discussing our favourite Ultra heroes:~

,!-- m -->, class="postlink" ,="http://www.mightycrusaders.net">http://www.mightycrusaders.net,!-- m -->

So there you are.

Try it.
Terry

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:12 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Terry,

Thanks for the plug

Rik
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Next

Return to Other Boards