Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! DC’s Impact Imprint: A Look Back by Ryan McLelland

DC’s Impact Imprint: A Look Back by Ryan McLelland

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Thanks for the link Captain.

I enjoy re-reading the Impact stuff every so often, and Black Hood remains one of my favourites runs of any comic ever.

I would love Archie to reprint the books (I would buy them all if they did; even the Web which I thought was a mess and now have some insight as to why it was a mess).
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The Captain was not a big Impact fan, but bought all the comics (double issues; one to read, one to save!) out of loyalty to the brand. The Captain has done that with all the other reboots. Fool The Captain once, shame on you. Fool The Captain twice (three times, four times, five times, six times), shame on The Captain!!! Thus The Captain's reason not to support the new Dark Detective Horse Circle Comics line.

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
The Captain was not a big Impact fan, but bought all the comics (double issues; one to read, one to save!) out of loyalty to the brand...

Did any of the titles from !mpact grab you positively? :)
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
Did any of the titles from !mpact grab you positively? ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->

No. The Captain wasn't expecting a total makeover; however, The Captain was waaay beyond the demographic DC/Archie was marketing to. Having said that, if DC/Archie made those books to appeal to new, younger readers, The Captain found the continuity to hard to follow. The Captain can't imagine a child being able to follow along!

The Captain prefers the "traditional" characters. The Red Circle line in the 80s was The Captain's favorite era.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Captain Sprocket wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Did any of the titles from !mpact grab you positively? ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->

No. The Captain wasn't expecting a total makeover; however, The Captain was waaay beyond the demographic DC/Archie was marketing to. Having said that, if DC/Archie made those books to appeal to new, younger readers, The Captain found the continuity to hard to follow. The Captain can't imagine a child being able to follow along!

The Captain prefers the "traditional" characters. The Red Circle line in the 80s was The Captain's favorite era.

...And I agree with the Captain.!!
I even liked Marty Greim's THE ORIGINAL SHIELD story and would like to see it put together in a book.... and return the Original Shield to us. Ayers and De Zuniga did a reasonably good job on the art, too.

Wonder what Marty's doing now.??

Anyway, that story seemed to be the longest running story that turned into 4 issues of the Shield...after running for a few issues in The MIGHTY CRUSADERS. It was a fun story line while it was running.

ImageImage

Image Image

One of the most "promising" pages of the whole Griem and Ayers story was this page:Image

I was hoping that this page was a precursor to the return of The Wizard, Dusty, Steel Sterling, and the others.!!
Right! It never happened.

I was really hopeful after seeing Buckler's First Issue of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.!!

THE art was great ...and the story started strong. Unfortunately, it started downhill, at least for me, in issue #2....

I was REALLY HOPEFUL that they would re-start the MLJ Legacy when they gave us this picture:

I wanted so badly to see THE SHIELD, DUSTY, THE WIZARD, and ROY... BACK.... and in an exciting adventure together.

It almost happened....but .... in the end, it did not. (Darn.) I've been waiting since about 1965. Now, they put a woman as The Shield.
Looks like this is about the last round-up for me. If they wait another 30 to 40 years for the next revival of the MLJ,... they won't have me to ignore... anymore. I've waited 49 years for these guys to give us a good revival of the MLJ.
Come on.!! Image

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

That !mpact article in the OP is excellent.
I've read all the issues from impact, all the lettercols and editorials and that article really contains so much stuff on top of all that, all the information i wondered about following the end of the line, after we were all promised "big things".

Captain, i am surprised you didnlt enjoy at least The Comet or The Fly from impact, and personally i thought their totally different version of The Jaguar was great too, and have to admit though The Shield didn;t grab me quite by the lapels, i thought the actual storyline of the whole Legend of the Shield run taken in its entirety was very good, better than much of the sixties stuff, and writing-wise, better than anything i have seen featuring The Shield subsequent to impact, from Archie or DC. And of course i really loved their Black Hood title (though it fizzled out a bit in the last issue or so).

The whole line did fall down in the writing towards the end though, and the art. I still find it hard to get into the Crusaders title at all, though i enjoyed the Crucible, feeling it was a return to form of sorts, though thought it was a pity The Comet was obviously never going to be a proper superhero again.

Anyway, thanks for the impact memories. If i'm honest it was !mpact that got me into the Red Circle/MLJ/Mighty/Radio Comics titles in the first place. There probably arent many people like me though who ended up buying every issue of Adventures of the Jaguar, Adventures of The Fly, Fly-Man, Mighty Crusaders, etc etc etc purely on the basis of that !mpact comics experiment (and you know maybe i wouldn't have even read those if DC artist Cam Kennedy hadn't very kindly gien me almost a complete !mpact collection back in the nineties just because it was taking up space in his house!)

Seriously though i'm just glad Archie are apparently still planning to keep publishing these characters, though if the 1mpact line had taken off, and been still on the go today, i wonder just exactly how different it all would have been.

Incidentally, if you work it out, DC Comics STILL published more issues/pages featuring our heroes in that two year stint (and also their one and a bit year "Red Circle" experiment) than Archie Comics have done in all the years from 1959 to the present day.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

By the way i might also mention the Justice Society Of America 8 issue miniseries and the ten issue Justice Society of America "ongoing" series from 1991 and 1992 respectively was basically the same creative staff that worked on many of the !mpact comics, most notably Mike Parobeck.

The series was cancelled not due to low sales (it was actually quite popular) but because Mike Carlin felt the title made DC Comics "look old" ironically enough, considering the feel of the series was quite similar to the !mpact line, which was primarily aimed at younger readers.

Anyway, i personally think the two Justice Society series from the early nineties are excellent as well, and anyone who did like !mpact may like those too.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Calum wrote:
Captain, I am surprised you didn't enjoy at least The Comet or The Fly from Impact...

The Captain prefers the traditional cast of characters (60s, 80s versions), thus the disappointment with the Impact & DC revivals. The Captain saw some hope with New Crusaders (being tied to the MLJ legacy); however, The Captain has absolutely no interest in the Dark Horse [ahem!] Dark CIRCLE line. If you smell what The Captain's cookin'...

Having said all that, The Captain loooves the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel Studios has done an absolutely stellar job of blending the new stories with the rich history of the comic books.

(Disclaimer: The Captain is waaay out of the demographic of current comic book readers, so The Captain's opinion or spendable income doesn't matter to Archie or the industry. Frankly, it's all about licensing properties to movies, TV & toys.)

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!