Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! The RETURN of the RED CIRCLE HEROES!!

The RETURN of the RED CIRCLE HEROES!!

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Tue May 20, 2014 6:58 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Archie Comics have had a number of attempts to revive and republish the Red Circle line of superhero comic books with less than stellar results. Beginning with the Shield created in 1939 for Pep Comics, The Black Hood and The Wizard, were relaunched in the sixties following DC Comics superhero revival, introducing The Fly and The Jaguar, before forming the Mighty Crusaders, before being consolidated as the Red Circle line in the eighties.

DC Comics licensed the line as Impact Comics in the early nineties and ten years later tried again to integrate them into the DC Universe with JMS, but again, nothing took.

In 2011, Archie announced a new all-digital comics line with the New Crusaders, which also faded away.

Currently Archie has had more success with their revival of The Fox character from Mark Waid and Dean Haspiel, with a little more older appeal. And though that series is concluded with an appearance from The Shield, Haspiel has talked about returning for a new series.

Well, according to Archie reps and attending retailers at the Diamond Retailer Summit at Las Vegas this weekend, in November, the Red Circle characters will come back en masse, and not for all ages. They will be more mature-themed and aimed, like the new Sabrina The Teenage Witch comic, at the audience that Afterlife With Archie has picked up…

We reckon The Shield could well be part of that. As well as The Fox: Fox Hunt…

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I know. I know. There is every reason not to be here. But I still am.!!
Now, with the news that the Red Circle heroes are going to return in November, I'm hanging on ....one more time...to hope that Archie gives The CRUSADERS...THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS....the talent to give our heroes a REAL CHANCE on the comic book racks.

I hope we see:

THE SHIELD
DUSTY
THE WIZARD
BLACK HOOD
STEEL STERLING
MR. JUSTICE
and THE COMET....in the RETURN.!!

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

In the past couple of days there has been an increase of Red Circle posts on FB so they are gearing up.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Thanks for being there, pal.
Where do I check?? Facebook: the Mlghty Crusaders??

I can't find where they are discussing The Crusaders.

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Easiest way (for me) is following them on Twitter; @RedCircleComics.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

thanks, Captain.!!
I'm there and pulling for a return of the MLJ heroes. THE SHIELD, THE WIZARD, STEEL STERLING, THE BLACK HOOD,
THE COMET, THE HANGMAN, MR. JUSTICE, and the rest.

Hope Red Circle finally gets the talent these wonderful heroes deserve.

I'm really interested in their origin story with The Shield, Dusty, Kalthar, Mr. Justice, The Wizard, Roy, and .... well, you know. I really want these heroes to have a chance to fill the potential I think they have.

Maybe THIS time.

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

captainzero wrote:
Thanks for being there, pal.
Where do I check?? Facebook: the Mlghty Crusaders??

I can't find where they are discussing The Crusaders.

Search for Red Circle Comics.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Are we the last three left??

Have either of you heard who's going to be the writer/artist on our heroes.??

I talked briefly to Mark Waid and he said that there were plans to expand if THE FOX did well enough. Do you think he may return to write more than The Fox Hunt??

I'm looking forward to the "origin story" that was hinted at in Crusaders #2...and the story art that was shown from another adventure in the Comic Shop News.

We need more information. All the Way with MLJ. Those are the heroes I want to see again. New Crusaders...ok. But I really want the MLJ heroes to return with the really Epic, quality storytelling that they so richly deserve.

That means really great, exciting art and great writing. (And I hope they can resurrect some really great villains.

Whether that's THE SKULL or The Strangler ....or whoever, they need some really good villains to fight.)

I, also, want to see the RETURN OF THE WIZARD!! I'll bet he can handle The Brain Emperor.!!

And maybe, when the MLJ heroes are well-established -- maybe somebody can talk to the Simon Estate and get The Fly. And he can join THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The last three? Maybe we are. No wonder the comics don't sell - Haha!

Here's the link to the Red Circle Comics Twitter: https://twitter.com/RedCircleComics It's public, so you don't need a Twitter account to follow it.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Captain Sprocket wrote:

Here's the link to the Red Circle Comics Twitter: https://twitter.com/RedCircleComics It's public, so you don't need a Twitter account to follow it.

Thanks, again, Captain. You always seem to be there. I really appreciate it.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:

Ouch! ,!-- s:P -->:P,!-- s:P -->

Cheers. ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:52 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

captainzero wrote:

I talked briefly to Mark Waid and he said that there were plans to expand if THE FOX did well enough. Do you think he may return to write more than The Fox Hunt??

I'm looking forward to the "origin story" that was hinted at in Crusaders #2...and the story art that was shown from another adventure in the Comic Shop News.

We need more information. All the Way with MLJ. Those are the heroes I want to see again. New Crusaders...ok. But I really want the MLJ heroes to return with the really Epic, quality storytelling that they so richly deserve.

That means really great, exciting art and great writing. (And I hope they can resurrect some really great villains.

Whether that's THE SKULL or The Strangler ....or whoever, they need some really good villains to fight.)

I, also, want to see the RETURN OF THE WIZARD!! I'll bet he can handle The Brain Emperor.!!

And maybe, when the MLJ heroes are well-established -- maybe somebody can talk to the Simon Estate and get The Fly. And he can join THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.

The emphasis on the FB page and those Twitter posts seems to point towards the Mighty Crusaders rather than the New Crusaders.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

leonmallett wrote:
captainzero wrote:

The emphasis on the FB page and those Twitter posts seems to point towards the Mighty Crusaders rather than the New Crusaders.

Ya know, I really hope so.
I'm concerned that they won't get a writer that can capture the EPIC story that could be told with the MLJ heroes.
And I am concerned about the artists that they will use....but I would LOVE to be knocked-out by EPIC STORYTELLING AND EPIC VISUALS.
Rich Buckler's MIGHTY CRUSADERS #1 may have been the high point for our heroes but I hope they can get someone as good as Buckler and pump up the writing to the next level.
That was a nice picture of THE COMET in LEGACY.

Since there are only three of us left, I suggest we buy two copies each of The MIGHTY CRUSADERS....at least.

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:58 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

captainzero wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
captainzero wrote:

Ya know, I really hope so.
I'm concerned that they won't get a writer that can capture the EPIC story that could be told with the MLJ heroes.
And I am concerned about the artists that they will use....but I would LOVE to be knocked-out by EPIC STORYTELLING AND EPIC VISUALS.
Rich Buckler's MIGHTY CRUSADERS #1 may have been the high point for our heroes but I hope they can get someone as good as Buckler and pump up the writing to the next level.
That was a nice picture of THE COMET in LEGACY.

Since there are only three of us left, I suggest we buy two copies each of The MIGHTY CRUSADERS....at least.

Funny thing, my LCS has been getting the Fox and some of its variants for me, so for most issues of the Fox I do have more than one copy....

As for writers - someone like Mark Waid or Brain Augustyn would be perfect for me, but I don't know how realistic that would be.

Archie need to decide what the USP for a Crusaders series or line would be and follow through on that. Aping the 80's book would be a wash out IMHO. They need something that stands out from Marvel and DC and that reflects their own corporate values, which is a tricky balancing act I think.

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Ill still be buying whatever comes outbut really after that ho hum of a relaunch last year i will find it very difficult to enthuse about the "red circle" line ever again. Archie comics and their creative personnel, and in fact their marketing department, just don't seem to careabout these characters.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Next

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!