Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! The Fox #1 Review

The Fox #1 Review

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm
Matesamo User avatar
Poor
Poor

Greetings! Here is my review of the first issue of The Fox that was posted on First Comics News.

Do you remember when super-hero comics used to be fun? I grew up reading comics in the eighties and I remember some amazingly fun costumed hero comics before the rush to “gritty” and “realistic” overtook the industry. The Fox #1 does a lot of things; it relaunches the Red Circle line of comic books, it gives a minor hero his own series for the first time and it brings good old super-hero fun back to the comic book shop shelves.

The Fox, for those unaware, is a non-powered hero who has been around since the 1940′s although the current character made his debut in Blue Ribbon Comics #6 in 1984. Paul Patton is a photo-journalist who never seemed to be at the right place at the right time (unlike a certain Peter Parker) to get valuable photos of heroes in action so he decided to become The Fox and have the story come to him.

This first issue sees Paul and his wife Mae moving back to Impact City from Japan as Paul attempts to reconnect with his daughter Kelly. He gets a great assignment right off the bat when he lands an interview with Ms. Lucy Fur, the public persona of the MyFace social media site. Things go downhill fast when she is revealed to actually be Madame Satan who has devised an absolutely modern plan to reclaim her mastery of the world.

When the Red Circle line relaunched last year with the New Crusaders, it stuck an odd note in the marketplace. It brought in creators from its super popular Sonic and Mega Man comics to help relaunch the universe and hopefully draw in some of those fans as well. What actually happened was that the Sonic-fanatics had no interest in super-heroes and the older fans were turned off by both the casual slaughter of their favorite characters, even if the heroes continued on through their kids, and the manga style artwork.

The Fox is a more successful and satisfying effort bringing back pleasant memories of old Spider-Man and Daredevil comics without rebooting the whole thing. Dean Haspiel and Mark Waid have a good grasp on the character and give him many appealing quirks from his banter to the way his costumes ears bend and flop. I am also very interested in where this new series sits in relation to the New Crusaders series as The Fox references being in the Mighty Crusaders as well as name dropping the Shield. Does he know about his friends deaths, will the stories cross-over or is this the start of a new Red Circle universe? Those questions may be answered in the next few issues but for now I encourage you to pick the comic up if you like good fun super-hero stories.

TOP FIVE FROM ISSUE #1
The Mighty Crusaders and Shield references.
Ms. Lucy Fur. Madame Satan. Enough said.
The two page splash of the Fox fighting Madame Satan.
The Man of Steel reference. Classic.
The bonus article, six page back-up and Fox Files.

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=91197

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 am
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Great review!

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well i have now read Fox 1 and 2 once each. I have to say i was less impressed than i expected. I will reread a couple of times before putting my own review though, because i read it in a hurry and haven't much time to myself these days.

Also, to find this is a FIVE issue miniseries is just one more disappointment from Red Circle to add to all the delays (since i am sure this was originally slated as a six issue series).

Can they not commit to putting one issue of *something* out per month?
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!