Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! While waiting for The Fox #1... what are you reading??

While waiting for The Fox #1... what are you reading??

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Yeah,
since we have a little time before THE FOX #1 hits the stands,
what are you reading??

Here's what I'm reading in the meantime:

DRAW magazine
JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR
Alter-Ego

Comics:
BATMAN/SUPERMAN... disappointing...Nix.
ROCKETEER & THE SPIRIT
Waid's DAREDEVIL
Dark Horse's LOBSTER JOHNSON
ASTRO CITY
TOM STRONG and the Planet of Peril
THE SHADOW & GREEN HORNET: DARK NIGHTS.....disappointing art...Nix it.
KINGS WATCH

What are you reading to fill the time before the "freak magnet" is ours???
the "freak magnet" and THE SHIELD, that is.

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Other than following the comics news, The Captain isn't reading anything.

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

iS THE CAPTAIN A "HARDCORE" rED cIRCLE fAN??

I'm really glad THE SHIELD gets a back-up strip. You??

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

in the meantime (while waiting what seems like forever for The Fox) i finally completed my six issue collection of The Whistling Skull (it was very good, though it had minimal JSA connections, and the JSA thing was the reason i bought it, i am not disappointed, and if and when they continue this spinoff series (as they plan to do) i will be buying the rest as well).

I have also been keeping up with Earth-2 and Worlds' Finest though i think this is a long game, i will need to collect a lot and re-read them all in one go to get the benefit.

On that note, i have finally come close to filling in my Kirby Fourth World collection (New Gods/Forever People/Mister Miracle/Jimmy Olsen/Hunger Dogs) and have been frantically rereading those. The final part of New Gods was a bit of a let down though (written in 1984 as a finale to a series that was cancelled in 1972) so the absolutely final part, Hunger Dogs (which appears to only be available in the Fourth World Anthology volume four) shou7ld hopefully turn out to be a bit better. It's amazing reading this stuff though, and shocking to think the only good way to get these now (other than original issues, which is mainly what i am doing, and it's murder trying to find them all) is the high priced fourth world anthologies. All the normal TPBs of this series are in highly offensive black and white (except for Jimmy Olsen!) with colour covers, and no warning of the B&W status, even!

Even getting the anthologies leaves a completist like me annoyed since the middle issues of all these series featured choice picks from Kirby's golden age work as backup stories (and these are not in the books!)

Anyway, the work itself (and the letters pages, which again are not reprinted!) is amazing, and if you can be bothered taking the time and money (years in my case!) hunting them all down, it's worth it.

I also felt that Karl Kesel's Superman Annual 2 (which is an homage to Kirby's Jimmy Olsen run) was very very good as well, though it's out of canon with Kirby's stuff.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The Captain would probably be a "hardcore" fan if The Fly were part of this revival. Otherwise, The Captain is content to stand in the shadows for now & watch it all go by...

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

tell you what though i have had a lot of other stuff occupying my time in the interim. I became a dad six weeks ago, and am leaving work this week to be full time stay at home parent, also i have whiled away the time writing about sixty songs (the most i've ever written in such a short time period) and if you have some minutes to spare you can hear some of them here:

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/user/calum-carlyle

I didn't think to actually write any songs about comics or superheroes mind you, that is obviously a future topic i will need to tackle in a song! (there is one about old cartoon characters though, on page two of that songs profile).
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
in the meantime (while waiting what seems like forever for The Fox) i finally completed my six issue collection of The Whistling Skull (it was very good, though it had minimal JSA connections, and the JSA thing was the reason i bought it, i am not disappointed, and if and when they continue this spinoff series (as they plan to do) i will be buying the rest as well).

I have also been keeping up with Earth-2 and Worlds' Finest though i think this is a long game, i will need to collect a lot and re-read them all in one go to get the benefit.

On that note, i have finally come close to filling in my Kirby Fourth World collection (New Gods/Forever People/Mister Miracle/Jimmy Olsen/Hunger Dogs) and have been frantically rereading those. The final part of New Gods was a bit of a let down though (written in 1984 as a finale to a series that was cancelled in 1972) so the absolutely final part, Hunger Dogs (which appears to only be available in the Fourth World Anthology volume four) shou7ld hopefully turn out to be a bit better. It's amazing reading this stuff though, and shocking to think the only good way to get these now (other than original issues, which is mainly what i am doing, and it's murder trying to find them all) is the high priced fourth world anthologies. All the normal TPBs of this series are in highly offensive black and white (except for Jimmy Olsen!) with colour covers, and no warning of the B&W status, even!

Even getting the anthologies leaves a completist like me annoyed since the middle issues of all these series featured choice picks from Kirby's golden age work as backup stories (and these are not in the books!)

Anyway, the work itself (and the letters pages, which again are not reprinted!) is amazing, and if you can be bothered taking the time and money (years in my case!) hunting them all down, it's worth it.

I also felt that Karl Kesel's Superman Annual 2 (which is an homage to Kirby's Jimmy Olsen run) was very very good as well, though it's out of canon with Kirby's stuff.

Glad you are a Kirby fan, man. Congratulations with the baby.
Yeah, I've got all of the Kirby stuff. Even the books with the Golden Age back-up strips.
If you're going to be reading something while we wait for The Fox, it might as well be some of the best: Kirby!!

Jack did do one cover for MLJ.... it was a SHIELD/WIZARD cover....

I'm still mad at DC for not letting Jack do his 4th World series. Infantino should have seen that Jack gave the 4th World some of his best creative work ever. Carmine should have let him go do his Opus. This would have been truly Epic. To make Jack stop it when he did, was criminal.

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I agree, though apparently it was down to sales figures. I also collected all three "Super Powers" miniseries, by the way, the first has Kirby plotting it and drawing the final issue, the second miniseries features Kirby as the artist throughout and the third miniseries looks great, but is very thin on plot or indeed enjoyment, i thought (as i said though it looks great, thanks to Carmine Infantino's art (him again, eh?)) - I actually sold the third miniseries on, since i know i'll never want to actually read it again!

However, yes, i've now bit the bullet and bought the Fourth World Anthology volume four and i have to admit it was worth it, it contains a restored version of the Hunger Dogs graphic novel (with all the pages which were edited out in 1984 inserted back in), and i've managed to get all the previous fourth world comics except Mister Miracle 2 and 6. Also, i appear to have started a post-Kirby collection too, mainly with Apokolips and Project related post-crisis Superman stories, there's a ton of rubbish post-crisis New Gods material, so i've had to be very selective in which stuff i ignore. it's a minefield, collecting comics!

But yes, i wonder how much further Kirby would have taken the concept, possibly another ten issues each series? Maybe with a bit more New Gods stuff in Mister Miracle? I would have loved to have seen that for sure, but that only happened in an alternate universe. I read somewhere that that Superman annual i mentioned above* was from a jack Kirby plot that he had intended to actually use, but which was never developed, which might explain why i enjoyed it so much.

I think it's a little weird that Kirby was so upset by the sudden cancellation of his fourth world comics, and yet he immediately agreed to begin work on Demon, Kamandi and Omac (since these concepts were supposedly considered to be more marketable at the time), it really was a different time.

I'll let you know my post-Kirby selections soon as i've finalised what they are!

PS - thanks for the congratulations, she's an absolute dream so far at three months old, she's a wee gem. :^)

--
* or it might have been Superman 37, anyway they're both good...

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!