Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! LEGACY Cover

LEGACY Cover

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

that was a fun game! Now i've seen the pictures, the Shield panel by Jerry Gaylord is new, which explains why it didn't ring a bell from the old days, and the black hood panel doesn't immediately put me in mind of the issue number, and i haven't got my issues to hand to check, but i think that's either from the Archie Superhero special issue 2, or Black Hood issue 1.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=383561

By the way, did issue one of this title actually exist? It looks like it from this page, but i have heard otherwise (and i have NEVER been able to track it down, unlike every other Archie superhero issue i have looked for).
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
Actually i think it'd be better if they had a Mighty Crusaders mini series starting at issue 14 and it would be a direct continuation from Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issue 13. Can you imagine that? Perhaps the issues could have gaps of a year or two between each one, dependent on story artefacts, and could, in however many issues the series was planned for, end up at the point we are at at the beginning of New Crusaders: Rise Of The Heroes issue 1! Perhaps it would even stop "ten years" earlier than that (since Dusty mentions in that series that there's been hardly any crime for ten years), or you know, it would come up to some point while our New Crusaders are still little kids. I can imagine this as a ten issue series perhaps, or twelve would be better (because the final issue would be issue 25, and it could be giant sized, probably with two backups and some fact files.

A shame it'll never happen. (in fact i should mention it here! if i wasn't banned, that is!) The idea of starting a series at issue 14 alone would make most comics publishers choke on their weetabix these days, imagine missing the opportunity to release yet another issue 1!

By the way, i thought it might be fun to try and figure out which stories they are going to "remaster" in Legacy, but looking at redcirclecomics.com it seems they plan to release the book one panel at a time, so we can already see exactly which sections we're getting (and in fact if you have your Archie Adventure box to hand, you can probably get about 90% of the book and read it now to be honest!)

http://redcirclecomics.com/2013/06/18/new-crusaders-legacy-sneak-peeks/

So it'll contain:

A Black Hood story (the image is blocked from my work computer, but it is not from Blue Ribbon 2 as they claim, since that issue was a full length Mr Justice issue, when i see the image i'll know the issue) - this will be one of the stories from 1977 which was commissioned for a Black Hood relaunch and then shelved until the Super Hero Special and Black Hood issues 1 and 2.

The first half of The Comet 1 (from 1983. I can't see them including the second half of the issue since Hangman seems to be a lesser deal in 2013)

The Fox (a great retroactive story set in the 1930s from Black Hood 2 with art by Alex Toth)

Faithfully Yours, the Ditko Fly-Girl story from The Fly 3 (1983) that we were discussing in the other thread

and a Shield story, with pencils by Jerry Gaylord. Again, image is blocked from my work, but i'll be able to get it from the picture alone, when i see it, i'm sure. I'll have a guess now and say it's likely to be the two page "America's Guardian" synopsis from Original Shield issue 1.

Yes, starting at Number 14 would be fine by me.

It would be nice to see them tie-up the loose ends of "The Man Who Hated The Crusaders"... with:
The Shield
The Fly
Fly Girl
The Comet
The Fox
The Web
The Jaguar
and The Black Hood....though I didn't like the cigar and guns.

Maybe after that adventure....They could start (like you say) in another period with a #1 issue.

That one picture of The Black Hood on his small, cute little motorcycle is from BLUE RIBBON #8, I think.

I never liked Gray Morrow's take on THE BLACK HOOD. He's a good artist but he doesn't do the "right" Black Hood, for me. He dropped the original black hood and yellow costume. And giving him that little motorcycle just doesn't do it. (Neither does a mechanical horse...but that's just another complaint.)

Funny how we will not give up on these Crusaders when the chance for them to return is next to nothing.
I think they just want to forget them and move on... but yet, Red Circle has back-up stories of them that pumped my hopes up ..... ?????
I'm puzzled by the whole deal.

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
that was a fun game! Now i've seen the pictures, the Shield panel by Jerry Gaylord is new, which explains why it didn't ring a bell from the old days, and the black hood panel doesn't immediately put me in mind of the issue number, and i haven't got my issues to hand to check, but i think that's either from the Archie Superhero special issue 2, or Black Hood issue 1.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=383561

By the way, did issue one of this title actually exist? It looks like it from this page, but i have heard otherwise (and i have NEVER been able to track it down, unlike every other Archie superhero issue i have looked for).

Are you asking if THE BLACK HOOD #1 VOL. 2 exists??

There are 3 issues of The Black Hood ...co-featuring THE FOX!!

I can't see that panel by Gaylord.

Special thanks to the Captain for that cover of LEGACY!!

Thanks, Cap. You're invaluable. And maybe you're right... maybe we're lucky it all got THIS far.

My HIGH POINT was that picture in Comic Shop News of STEEL STERLING, THE COMET, THE BLACK HOOD, and THE HANGMAN knockin' the crap out of those zombie-undead guys!! The art held such promise...

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

As nice as a Mighty Crusaders #14 would be, its appeal would be limited, primarily to the guys posting her I guess.

I think a new Mighty Crusaders could have been started with the same kind of tone as New Crusaders, *but* I think New Crusaders was probably a better option that played better to Archie's market and profile.

I enjoyed the first 6 issues and believe that some more good stuff can follow. Which is surprisingly optimistic for me when it comes to this medium these days.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:18 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

leonmallett wrote:
As nice as a Mighty Crusaders #14 would be, its appeal would be limited, primarily to the guys posting her I guess.

I think a new Mighty Crusaders could have been started with the same kind of tone as New Crusaders, *but* I think New Crusaders was probably a better option that played better to Archie's market and profile.

I enjoyed the first 6 issues and believe that some more good stuff can follow. Which is surprisingly optimistic for me when it comes to this medium these days.

Probably right about that issue 14....
and ....I might have to be happy with the backup feature...Lost Crusade. (Me...??!!.... optimistic, too.) when it comes to this medium these days.

I have to admit....that I had such great hopes in seeing The Mighty Crusaders in a book of their own.

The future isn't what it used to be.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

no i was asking if Archie Super Hero Special issue 1 exists (because obviously i have all three issues of Black Hood!) :-)
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Both issues...

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:23 am
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The Shield will have a back up story in the Fox!
Fox #1 is finished.
Legacy is on the stands now.
Things are moving along, just slowly.
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

slowly's better than not at all, but it's sometimes difficult to tell if this is the "slowly" of a comic book line destined for cancellation due to badly timed promotion and misinformed marketing (as so many of my favourite comic lines have seemed to fall foul of over the years, Red Circle/Archie Adventure included) or the "slowly" of a company painstakingly taking its time to get it right (while the eager hordes of fans wait in their thousands ready to reach for their wallets when the issues finally do arrive on the racks a year later than promised in some cases).

Neither type of "slowly" suits me, though DC Red Circle was introduced too quickly, and look what happened to that.
Still, at this rate it will be at least 2016 before Archie Red Circle equals DC Red Circle's 31 total issues.

Previous

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!