Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! LEGACY Cover

LEGACY Cover

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Cover by Jerry Ordway. Click on the picture to see a larger, more detailed image!

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:18 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Like that a lot; who is the artist? I am thinking someone like Ordway but can't put my finger on it. Nice nonetheless. ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
Like that a lot; who is the artist? I am thinking someone like Ordway but can't put my finger on it. Nice nonetheless.

Yes, Ordway.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Like that a lot; who is the artist? I am thinking someone like Ordway but can't put my finger on it. Nice nonetheless.

Yes, Ordway.

Thanks for the confirmation. ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sat May 25, 2013 1:05 am
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Ordway's stuff is pretty good.
He and Mike Machlin(sp) could really do it.
I wished Ordway would draw a 6-issue story of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS!! written by Ian Flynn.

Great cover!!
I wonder who inked it. ??
I would like to see a young SHIELD, and all of the heroes on that cover back in "action".
And I would really like to see a return of THE WIZARD, .... Blane Whitney.

I wished Ian or somebody could or would ...reassure us that THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS are going to have their own book. I'm beginning to think we will never see their return.
The New Crusaders ....yes.
The Mighty Crusaders...probably not.

What do you guys think??

Post Mon May 27, 2013 6:02 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

To be honest i think Archie/Red Circle are all mouth and no trousers.

Every new announcement is about Legacy or The Fox, neither of which has made its appearance yet (and Legacy looks like being mainly reprints + some sort of sparse framing device). Legacy's overdue, isn't it? The Fox isn't in Previews yet, and while the first three issues of Dark Tomorrow are in Previews, they have 2013 dates, though we know there are no plans to even start publishing these until spring 2014 (by which time i am sure something else will have changed).

In the meantime, months and months of no new books, and nothing but spin from Archie, will inevitably allow what little readership they have collected with New Crusaders 1-6 to drift away never to return, this will make sure Archie has a good reason to shelve the whole Red Circle line for another 25 years, and Ian Flynn and co can get back to writing Sonic and Megaman.

But yes, in a world where Archie had an artistic sense of their creative output, rather than just an accountant's sense of how to run a business, it would be excellent to see new retroactive Shield stories, and stories featuring the Mighty Crusaders (specifically i want to see the conclusion to the story which did not finish at the end of Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issue 13 - that story obviously still had a couple of issues to run, so what, in terms of the narrative, happened?), but really what i want to see is a continuously published series, featuring whatever Red Circle/Mighty characters they think will sell, without all the empty promises and contradictory rhetoric that has always accompanied Red Circle/Mighty/even !mpact in the past.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Mon May 27, 2013 5:23 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
To be honest i think Archie/Red Circle are all mouth and no trousers.

Every new announcement is about Legacy or The Fox, neither of which has made its appearance yet (and Legacy looks like being mainly reprints + some sort of sparse framing device). Legacy's overdue, isn't it?
No, ...it's out in early July with that Ordway cover.

The Fox isn't in Previews yet, and while the first three issues of Dark Tomorrow are in Previews, they have 2013 dates, though we know there are no plans to even start publishing these until spring 2014 (by which time i am sure something else will have changed).

In the meantime, months and months of no new books, and nothing but spin from Archie, will inevitably allow what little readership they have collected with New Crusaders 1-6 to drift away never to return, this will make sure Archie has a good reason to shelve the whole Red Circle line for another 25 years, and Ian Flynn and co can get back to writing Sonic and Megaman.

Yes, this is what I fear, also. Readership drift...with no books coming out.... and then Ian and company can return(happily) to writing Sonic and Megaman.

But yes, in a world where Archie had an artistic sense of their creative output, rather than just an accountant's sense of how to run a business, it would be excellent to see new retroactive Shield stories, and stories featuring the Mighty Crusaders (specifically i want to see the conclusion to the story which did not finish at the end of Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issue 13 - that story obviously still had a couple of issues to run, so what, in terms of the narrative, happened?), but really what i want to see is a continuously published series, featuring whatever Red Circle/Mighty characters they think will sell, without all the empty promises and contradictory rhetoric that has always accompanied Red Circle/Mighty/even !mpact in the past.

I wanted a return of the MIGHTY CRUSADERS, too. Now, it looks like they are only going to be used as a "launching pad" for the NEW CRUSADERS. Big disappointment.
I'm preparing to "turn and go." The title change is a big tip off.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well, as i said, my reading is that they are also planning to throw New Crusaders on the scrap heap as soon as possible.

Sorry to sound like the voice of negativity, but honestly it's tough to make money in the 21st century comics industry and Archie are going about it all the wrong way if they are serious about any kind of success.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Let's get real, guys. NEW CRUSADERS has only 184 Twitter followers & just 684 "Likes" on Facebook. The ARCHIE COMICS Facebook page has 181,000! The Captain thinks we're lucky the project has gotten this far along.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:28 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Darn it!!

And I was soooo hopeful.

I REALLY wanted to see a return of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS ....with:

THE SHIELD
THE WIZARD
STEEL STERLING
BLACK HOOD
THE COMET ...and
THE HANGMAN.

Archie disappoints yet again.

When will I learn.!!??

Post Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

i honestly believe they don't deserve to own the rights to these characters.

I was thinking about Kitchen Sink Press the other day, and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

Denis Kitchen reprinted all the original Spirit sections, and commissioned new ones by other comics creators, with Will Eisner's blessing. He allowed Eisner to keep all the rights (and Eisner would probably not have allowed his stuff to be republished otherwise, though that never was an issue) for the old stuff, and for all the new stuff (mostly cover paintings and sketches) from Eisner.

Then eventually DC offered to put out the whole run, including the new stuff, as hardcover books. Kitchen not only said yes, but they were very enthusiastic about the whole thing. Why? Because Kitchen loves comics, as an artform.

Compare this with the way Archie has been killing their superheroes (in terms of publicity and promotion) since about 1947, issuing nasty cease and desist letters at the last minute, failing to communicate with the fans (did we ever get an official statement from Archie about why they no longer publish the Adventures of the Fly TPB?) and now Mr Flynn telling us to "have a little faith" as he presides over the endless cancellation (ahem, postponement) of a series we were all ready to fall in love with?

there's no solution to this. Archie will never relinquish the rights to these characters, but that is the ONLY way they will be able to stay alive.

DC comics treated these characters with more respect than Archie is doing, and that even includes the recent DC Red Circle experiment in 2009.

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:40 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I must agree with you.
These are such great characters that have sooo much potential, and Archie doesn't give them the chance.

I just don't "get it."

I'm way tired of DC and Marvel. Not much new or exciting for quite awhile.

Anyway, I thought that this is the perfect time for the Return of The MLJ/Red Circle heroes.

"Have a little faith" ...while we postpone New Crusaders (With the Lost Crusade in the back up feature)...
and we start with a new single title hero.... The Fox ---- doesn't fill me with a lot of "faith".

Why not re-Start THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS!!???

Why not give THE SHIELD a title of his own???

Why deep-six one of the more popular Archie Adventure heroes....THE FLY???

Calum, the only thing I disagree with you about is DC's handling of the MLJ heroes. DC just doesn't do heroes it aquires from other places very well. They screw them up.
The Web looked great...but just didn't "work". As with most of the other MLJ heroes.
DC does Superman, Batman, and the other big seven? well, ....but can't seem to do other acquisitions well.

LOOK at what they did to the Charlton heroes!!

Anyway, I'm not here to kick DC in the groin. I just want Archie to do THEIR heroes well.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I do agree with you, but painful as it is to admit, DC's soulless reboot of Red Circle was more respectful than what we have seen from Archie since then.

However i don't think DC has a problem generically with other publishers' characters, their whole pantheon is made up of bought characters, if you go back long enough to history! The Charlton characters have been DC characters for 30 years now, which is pretty good, they have really tried to keep those characters alive, whether you agree with the changes of direction or not.

And as for DC/Archie i still think most of !mpact was very good (except possibly a lot of the artwork, too hurried) - The Fly, The Comet, The Jaguar, The Black Hood and Legend of The Shield were all very good titles imho, and Archie have yet to produce any issues up to that standard since the cancellation of The Fly, The Black Hood and Blue Ribbon vol 2 in the eighties.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 am
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Captain Sprocket wrote:
Cover by Jerry Ordway. Click on the picture to see a larger, more detailed image!

Hard to argue with you. This LEGACY will be made up of some of the stories from the '80's which we have already seen.
(They shot Blue Beetle in the head. Killed The Question, threw Nightshade into another group, and drastically changed Captain Atom. DC didn't do Captain Marvel and friends very well, either.)

....and not a MIGHTY CRUSADERS #1 or THE SHIELD #1 .... in sight.

Not much new or exciting to keep fans like me around. (Although I am prepared to read LEGACY to see what they do. But, I think, it will be to get rid of The Crusaders in laying the groundwork for the new crusaders. ....which will disappoint me greatly.)

I, as stated, wanted a MIGHTY CRUSADERS #1..... AND ...THE SHIELD #1 starting next month.

I think they still want ice water in Hell, too!!

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Actually i think it'd be better if they had a Mighty Crusaders mini series starting at issue 14 and it would be a direct continuation from Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issue 13. Can you imagine that? Perhaps the issues could have gaps of a year or two between each one, dependent on story artefacts, and could, in however many issues the series was planned for, end up at the point we are at at the beginning of New Crusaders: Rise Of The Heroes issue 1! Perhaps it would even stop "ten years" earlier than that (since Dusty mentions in that series that there's been hardly any crime for ten years), or you know, it would come up to some point while our New Crusaders are still little kids. I can imagine this as a ten issue series perhaps, or twelve would be better (because the final issue would be issue 25, and it could be giant sized, probably with two backups and some fact files.

A shame it'll never happen. (in fact i should mention it here! if i wasn't banned, that is!) The idea of starting a series at issue 14 alone would make most comics publishers choke on their weetabix these days, imagine missing the opportunity to release yet another issue 1!

By the way, i thought it might be fun to try and figure out which stories they are going to "remaster" in Legacy, but looking at redcirclecomics.com it seems they plan to release the book one panel at a time, so we can already see exactly which sections we're getting (and in fact if you have your Archie Adventure box to hand, you can probably get about 90% of the book and read it now to be honest!)

http://redcirclecomics.com/2013/06/18/new-crusaders-legacy-sneak-peeks/

So it'll contain:

A Black Hood story (the image is blocked from my work computer, but it is not from Blue Ribbon 2 as they claim, since that issue was a full length Mr Justice issue, when i see the image i'll know the issue) - this will be one of the stories from 1977 which was commissioned for a Black Hood relaunch and then shelved until the Super Hero Special and Black Hood issues 1 and 2.

The first half of The Comet 1 (from 1983. I can't see them including the second half of the issue since Hangman seems to be a lesser deal in 2013)

The Fox (a great retroactive story set in the 1930s from Black Hood 2 with art by Alex Toth)

Faithfully Yours, the Ditko Fly-Girl story from The Fly 3 (1983) that we were discussing in the other thread

and a Shield story, with pencils by Jerry Gaylord. Again, image is blocked from my work, but i'll be able to get it from the picture alone, when i see it, i'm sure. I'll have a guess now and say it's likely to be the two page "America's Guardian" synopsis from Original Shield issue 1.

Next

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!