Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! New Crusaders: Legacy

New Crusaders: Legacy

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I couldn't find an existing thread for Legacy, so i started one. :-)

From redcirclecomics.com, in turn this is from the official press release:
New York, NY - Eisner Award winning writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, Thrillbent) and Emmy winning writer/artist Dean Haspiel (Billy Dogma, HBO’s Bored To Death) are teaming up to launch a brand new series – THE FOX. Taking place in the Red Circle universe, this exciting creative team will deliver an innovative, action-packed superhero story starring the fabled pulp hero.

This thrilling new addition is a shake up to the Red Circle lineup. The previously solicited New Crusaders: Dark Tomorrow will receive a new release date in early 2014. The critically acclaimed New Crusaders series received high praise and year-end “best of” acknowledgements, dubbed “one of the most enjoyable and surprising books on the stands” and response to THE FOX will no doubt echo that sentiment.

The first volume, New Crusaders: Rise of the Heroes, is now available for order in Previews. In addition, this summer’s forthcoming New Crusaders: Legacy TPB features both new and iconic stories including Alex Toth‘s run on The FOX, and contributions from comic book legends Steve Ditko, Carmine Infantino, and more.

That does interest me, since i already own the back issues concerned, for example Toth's "run" on The Fox lasted all of two issues (both stories being half an issue long*) if i recall, so this would be about 24 pages in total, i would guess. I do wonder if they will be running these reprints straight, or incorporating them into a larger story, or even just a framing sequence. Also, i wonder how much of this volume will be "legacy" material. I don't have a huge problem with this, obviously i want to see stuff i haven't got but i also realise most readers don't have these issues, so it's the best way to present it to them in print format i think.

I do wonder whether either Waid's The Fox has been given priority because the Toth stuff is some of the best material in the back catalogue which doesn't feature The Fly, mind you. Or possibly Toth's Fox stuff is being included in Legacy to try and create anticipation for Waid's forthcoming run on it. Is this cynical, or astute? I'm just guessing, but i suppose time will tell.
--
* in Black Hood vol 2 issues 2 and 3 (half issue backup stories)
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

It may be something as simple as which character not tied directly into the new characters and the New Crusaders book has most chance to succeed.

Arguably the Fox could be a much easier 'sell' than many others.

And if related material is included in 'Legacy', well arguably to do so is not cynical, but simply good business and planning.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

i think so too, but sometimes i wonder if i sound cynical with all my speculation about what could happen with these characters, in the real world new material comes to us at an almost glacial pace, and most of my Red Circle/MLJ back issues have been read a lot of times simply because not much new stuff ever comes out.

re: The Fox, that's interesting that you say The Fox could be one of the more successful prospects. Previous revivals have always treated The Fox as a backup character really. I would say a couple of things count against him. He's not really got anything to distinguish him, does he? his secret identity's a journalist, pretty standard, he doesn't have any supernormal abilities (except being a good fighter and having a motorbike) and this makes him pretty similar to batman (who he also looks a bit like, with the pointy ears), and we already know the Black Hood occupies the "batman" niche in this universe.

Don't get me wrong, i like The Fox, the original, and Toth's version, anyway (less so the version from Blue Ribbon vol 2 and Mighty Crusaders/Mighty Comics), but i wouldn't have thought he'd be an obvious choice as a main character. I think it is very wise though to promote Mark Waid as the big deal of this project and hopefully the Mark Waid fans will become Fox fans too.

That's not really enough though, the eighties Red Circle is littered with work by comics giants; Gray Morrow, Rich Buckler, Carmine Infantino, Alex Toth, it's almost unbelievable the level of talent those comics had, and yet they sold like made-to-measure suits at a nudist colony.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

By easier sell I mean compared to the likes of Bob Phantom, Mr Justice (super-sorcerer books rarely do well), Red Rube and others not yet shown in New Crusaders.,
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sat May 04, 2013 4:34 pm
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Hey! Check out this picture from Legacy, posted two hours ago on the New Crusaders facebook page:

is that The Fly?

Post Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Yup! And Fly Girl. Nice...

Post Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Yup!! The search for the gun!!
But who's that flying next to Fly-Girl??

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!