Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! NEW CRUSADERS Go Back to Print, Aim at 'Avengers' Audience

NEW CRUSADERS Go Back to Print, Aim at 'Avengers' Audience

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Archie Comics has made a lot of news lately by dabbling in real world issues and icons, but for their next foray into monthly print comics, the publisher focuses on a completely fictional one.

And it's one that Archie President Mike Pellerito said echoes The Avengers movie.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/archie-new-crusaders-print-comics.html
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

It is nice to see Archie thinking big about their heroes after so long. Loved the first 4 chapters of the digital story and that was enough for me to decide that i will be picking up the book in my preferred medium (print), and I hope it will lead to greater exposure and other opportunities. Is a movie one day too much to hope for? I can wish can't I? ,!-- s:) -->:),!-- s:) -->
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

you know the original Mighty Crusaders series was based on the original Avengers (and X-Men) comics too, coincidentally. You can see the "modern" speech idioms and the friction between the characters in Mighty Crusaders, which is exactly what Marvel had done a few years earlier, to distinguish their super teams from the more traditional, socially stable Justice League of America type offerings.

Just a little irony supplement for you there! :-)
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
you know the original Mighty Crusaders series was based on the original Avengers (and X-Men) comics too, coincidentally. You can see the "modern" speech idioms and the friction between the characters in Mighty Crusaders, which is exactly what Marvel had done a few years earlier, to distinguish their super teams from the more traditional, socially stable Justice League of America type offerings.

Just a little irony supplement for you there! :-)

But in the Mighty Crusaders, the "friction" seemed more adolescent. For me, it was a real disappointment to see our heroes like The Shield, The Comet, The Black Hood, The Fly and Fly-Girl act so childish.
There was a real difference between Stan Lee's "friction" ....and what went on with The Crusaders!! It was painful to watch.

Does anyone think that those 1960's issues will be written out of canon??
I do.

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

i agree fully that the Mighty Crusaders friction (from the relaunch of Fly-Man into their own title and Mighty Comics (which even sounds like something from Marvel!)) was quite childish compared with Marvel's quite clever and readable efforts. It's even more amazing to me that those early Mighty Crusaders stories were actually written by Jerry Seigel, one of the original golden age greats!

I don't think any of that stuff will be written out, i think it will be ignored, and selectively summarised, with The Fly conveniently missed out of any retellings (and Pvt Strong, too, though this will be easy as he made minimal appearances).

Whatever though. I still have all the issues in my collection, and i survived a LOT of this behaviour over at DC. If they keep doing it though (like DC) it'll become a bit wearing over time.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Yes, I'm with you.
What do you think of the delay of Dark Tomorrow???

And THE RETURN OF THE FOX!!?

Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

answered that in another post, i think, but i think Mark Waid + The Fox sounds good, if it ever sees publication.

I do think fannying around with miniseries and cancelling stuff, and pushing back the release dates simply pisses people off and disperses whatever reader base they have managed to scrape together.

The cynic in me wonders if this is Archie just maintaining its copyrights again, and setting this whole endeavour up to fail, perhaps as some sort of tax loss. I find it hard to believe they have once again failed to learn the lessons they should have from 1983-1984 (or from !mpact and DC Red Circle even).

Anyway, back to what i was going to say about Crusaders/Avengers. All it is is, once i had said above that the 60s Crusaders had been based on early 60s Avengers/X-Men i was wondering where the heck i had actually read that. It turns out it's in the incredibly good one page introduction by Michael Uslan and Robert Klein in the front of "Mighty Crusaders: Origin Of A Super-Team" which is now sadly out of print, due to Fly-Man being unavailable for Archie to publish (and nobody else can reprint issues of Fly-Man either since they all contain characters which are still owned by Archie, and the publishing copyright will still subsist with them too, i imagine).

So that's all, i just wanted to cite my reference for my earlier remark, have a good day! :-)

captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
answered that in another post, i think, but i think Mark Waid + The Fox sounds good, if it ever sees publication.

I do think fannying around with miniseries and cancelling stuff, and pushing back the release dates simply pisses people off and disperses whatever reader base they have managed to scrape together.

The cynic in me wonders if this is Archie just maintaining its copyrights again, and setting this whole endeavour up to fail, perhaps as some sort of tax loss. I find it hard to believe they have once again failed to learn the lessons they should have from 1983-1984 (or from !mpact and DC Red Circle even).

Anyway, back to what i was going to say about Crusaders/Avengers. All it is is, once i had said above that the 60s Crusaders had been based on early 60s Avengers/X-Men i was wondering where the heck i had actually read that. It turns out it's in the incredibly good one page introduction by Michael Uslan and Robert Klein in the front of "Mighty Crusaders: Origin Of A Super-Team" which is now sadly out of print, due to Fly-Man being unavailable for Archie to publish (and nobody else can reprint issues of Fly-Man either since they all contain characters which are still owned by Archie, and the publishing copyright will still subsist with them too, i imagine).

So that's all, i just wanted to cite my reference for my earlier remark, have a good day! :-)

I agree with the cynic in you.(and the cynic in me.)
Maintaining copyrights or a tax write-off.
I think "they've" given our "Cynic" strength by what they do and how they handle things.

I'm still at a loss to understand postponing the NEW CRUSADERS...FOR 8 MONTHS OR MORE.

Or, for not starting a MIGHTY CRUSADERS title. (Although that charge may be a bit self-serving.)

Or, for not "plugging in" another title where the MLJ heroes have on-going Adventures!!
Or, for not starting a SHIELD title.

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

I honestly think too much prep work has gone into this to be either a 'tax write-off' or copyright extension. They could have done the latter without developing the world they did in New Crusaders.

But that may be just being naive.

Loved the first series, and i do sincerely hope for more, and that the Fox follows on from this.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!