Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! "Alternate Crusaders"

"Alternate Crusaders"

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

By JAD Flores:

"Say what you will about the '60s incarnation of the MLJ heroes, they still occupy a soft spot in my heart and childhood memories. They certainly were colorful enough that I convinced my Mom to pick them up off the stands to take home and read. I still have those several issues of Fly Man and The Mighty Crusaders in great shape in my collection (not to mention an issue of The Shadow ... Archie Comics' superhero-costumed version of Lamont Cranston!). Campy, yes ... and a lot of fun, at least in my eyes.

"In the Philippines, where I lived the first ten years of my life, some of these characters were even part of a series of superhero cards ...

And Black Hood became "Black Mask" ...

I loved these characters enough to pick up the '80s Red Circle Comics revival, which I thought was a noble effort. However, I never got into the Impact! Comics incarnation. Would I buy new comics featuring them? Dunno ... guess it'd depend on the creators. What I would absolutely love though are hardcover archival editions of even just the Silver Age runs of their comics, complete with letters pages and house ads! Just wishful thinking ... "

Full board thread here: http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/2484#.UBILkqDZeSo

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Yeah. I would probably like to see a reprint of the complete 1960's Mighty Crusaders, too. I'm not certain how well they would sell in today's market.

I think it could be interesting to include stories--- drawn by a different artist but keeping the script the same.
Then, maybe, a story or two with a different artist AND a different writer... maybe as if the original stories were "comicbook" stories....but this is what REALLY happened.

I ALWAYS thought that those heroes had "potential" ....but just were not handled correctly.

I have a soft spot for them, too.

But I'm really glad people like Ian, Chuck, and Paul are now doing them. They are, now, much better handled. The stories are just much better ...as is the art.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

One of the interesting things about the Mighty Crusaders is just when you think you have seen it all. Something new from the 60's shows up.

Thanks Cap.
,!-- s*<@:o) -->*<@:o),!-- s*<@:o) -->
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Rik wrote:
One of the interesting things about the Mighty Crusaders is just when you think you have seen it all. Something new from the 60's shows up.

Thanks Cap.
,!-- s*<@:o) -->*<@:o),!-- s*<@:o) -->

Your welcome.
Yeah, Rik, .... it is interesting .... and fun... to see something from the '60's show up.
It was great to see The Black Hood and The Hangman show up in ...prison!! Wow!! Wonder what the "backstory" is on that.!!??

I was really surprised by the return of THE HANGMAN!! I hope he's back in costume soon.!!
And I hope The Black Hood can find his real costume. His original yellow and black one with the big belt buckle. (Wonder where The Skull is hiding.!!???

Another example is the story of Fireball...in "Guest of Honor". (I loved it.)
Same with seeing Steel Sterling, The Shield, and Fireball together near the end of the story was just really fun to see, too.!!
I would really like to see all these heroes back "in business", again.

Anything special for you??
Oh, and by the way, ...thanks for all you do for these heroes. It is appreciated.

I picked up the tpb of THE NEW CRUSADERS and was reading through it ...and I again, caught The Eraser saying, "Looks like i'll have to swat one more Fly."
Does anyone else think that maybe he killed Thomas Troy, THE FLY....and that's what he meant.??

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well they keep mentioning the Eraser is a "Crusader killer", so maybe.

By the way, are there any pages in the TPB that aren't in the issues?

By the way i have read everything back to 1959 except a few Fly/Jaguar shorts from Pep and Laugh and i am unnerved by the amount of characters i don't remember turning up, were these all from the 40s and i just never knew? Archie/Red Circle have always done this mind you, and so did !mpact a bit, i have to admit. It's become part of the fun with these heroes actually, i must be one of the most assiduous fans of this line in Scotland (maybe the whole UK) and yet a lot of the stuff in New Crusaders 1-6 was pretty new to me.

I'm now rereading Mighty Crusaders vol 2 1-13 from start to finish to see if these characters are mentioned in there!

By the way i agree they should bring out a Mighty Crusaders TPB volume 2. Volume 1 has some issues of Flyman and issue 1 of Might Crusaders i think, so they could just put issues 2-7 into another TPB now they have drummed up a bit of fan interest with New Crusaders.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
well they keep mentioning the Eraser is a "Crusader killer", so maybe.

By the way, are there any pages in the TPB that aren't in the issues?

By the way i have read everything back to 1959 except a few Fly/Jaguar shorts from Pep and Laugh and i am unnerved by the amount of characters i don't remember turning up, were these all from the 40s and i just never knew? Archie/Red Circle have always done this mind you, and so did !mpact a bit, i have to admit. It's become part of the fun with these heroes actually, i must be one of the most assiduous fans of this line in Scotland (maybe the whole UK) and yet a lot of the stuff in New Crusaders 1-6 was pretty new to me.

I'm now rereading Mighty Crusaders vol 2 1-13 from start to finish to see if these characters are mentioned in there!

By the way i agree they should bring out a Mighty Crusaders TPB volume 2. Volume 1 has some issues of Flyman and issue 1 of Might Crusaders i think, so they could just put issues 2-7 into another TPB now they have drummed up a bit of fan interest with New Crusaders.

Calum,
I'm not very detailed oriented so I'm not sure if there are any added pages in the tpb. I don't think so, ...but when I was going through the tpb I thought I saw a page or two I wasn't familiar with...but I didn't re-check my issues. So, my first guess is "no new pages of story."

(although I wished they would have added a few pages of new stuff to fill out the stories for people who pick up the tpb....and made the tpb even more attractable.)

In the back of the book, after the 6-issue story arc, there is added "Dusty's Files" that give some interesting information on the Crusaders plus a few pictures I've never seen before. I can't see them now, because they are too small to make out the details. I wished they would have been bigger.
The Covers are reprinted with Dusty's Files below the covers.
Dusty's Files:
The Pitch
the Cast
The Braintrust
The Legacy
The Villains
The Future'
The Future promises the deal on Mr. Justice and the Blue Ribbon stuff!!

On the last page there is the cover of Dark Tomorrow....so, it's a great bridge.

Sounds like you're my kinda fan. You've read more of the stuff from the 1960's on than I have.... and I thought I was a big fan. I wished I hadn't passed on some of the issues I did. Like MIGHTY CRUSADERS #6, ...OR the Archie Mystery stuff ...Or selling my Jaguar #1 ....and passing on a lot of issues.

Who turned up that "unnerved you"???

And what was new to you in The New Crusaders???

Yeah, I guess I hope they reprint The Mighty Crusaders #2-7 (or 6) just so I have MC #6.!! Did it go to #7??

Kalthar was new to me. I was aware of The Shield and Dusty and The Wizard and Roy, and Mr. Justice.... but the Giant, Jungle man I had not heard of.

Martin L. Greim's The SHIELD was a fun read...and I thought he did a pretty good job on the writing.
I hope that gets reprinted some day for today's fans.

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Definitely Mighty Crusaders 7 was the final issue, dated October 1966. It's an unusual one because unlike the others it doesn't carry a Crusaders story as the lead feature. It's got a two part Steel Sterling story called "The Monster Master" then a VERY short story called "The Mighty Crusaders: The Savage Hammerhead". It's only five pages long (and only 17 panels in total!) and the only Crusaders featured are the Black Hood (original i would expect), and The Shield (not Lance Strong, but probably BILL Higgins). Finally it has another five pager "The Origin of Fly-Girl".

It's always been the case that final issues are hardest for me to find of any Archie/!mpact issues (the only !mpact issue i still haven't got is Black Hood 12 for example and it took me years to get a copy of Fly #9 (1983), so i haven't had this issue too long and am not that familiar with it.

Anyway, the haphazard content made me wonder if this was an issue's worth of stuff left over from Mighty Comics' cancellation but no! A quick look at Mighty Comics 50 reveals it was dated October 1967, and not only that but Mighty Comics 49 features a rematch between Steel Sterling and The Monster Master (this time featuring the Black Hood, making it curiously more of a Crusaders story than the one from Mighty Crusaders 7!)

PS - i'll let you know on my next read through of New Crusaders which characters took me by surprise, first i need to reread a few more from the 1980s though. :-)

PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Cool. I had completely forgotten about this issue. (MC #7)
Nice going.
Have you seen the cover for LEGACY OF THE CRUSADERS.??

The Shield is showing the New Crusaders a movie of The Mighty Crusaders...with The Shield's younger self, Fly-Girl, The Jaguar, The Web, Mr. Justice, The Web, The Comet (in his orange costume and rainbow helmet,) and The Black Hood on his horse.
It's on First Comics News. It looks pretty good...but I can't bring the picture over. Only the text.

RED CIRCLE COMICS JUNE 2013 SOLICITS

LEGACY OF THE CRUSADERS
A SUPER HERO LEGACY IS BORN! In one of history’s greatest battles against the forces of evil, The Mighty Crusaders did the impossible: they won. Now, for the first time ever, witness their heroic battle for the fate of the world like never before in this unique graphic novel collection from Red Circle Comics! Using an innovative blend of NEW and CLASSIC material, Legacy of the Crusaders takes readers on a tour of the Red Circle universe, guided by the characters themselves! Picking up directly following the events of New Crusaders: Rise of the Heroes, our new team of young heroes struggle under the tutelage of the world’s first patriotic super hero: the Shield. The Shield teaches these New Crusaders about the early history of their parents, the Mighty Crusaders, seen by the reader in the form of some of the best classic tales from the 1980s Red Circle super hero titles. Featuring legendary comic artists such as Steve Ditko and Alex Toth!

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:52 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

i wonder if that's the same movie the Archie gang are watching in that ashcan issue, probably not. I am thinking that the Crusaders universe must be an alternate reality from the Archie one (since they had some sort of dimensional stuff in the two issues of Weird Mysteries and in Sabrina 30 to explain the presence of the Crusaders). :-)

Anyway, i have finally located that TPB in the list of my rather quirky subscription service, and it's supposedly out in July, so i am very much looking forward to that (and i will be really sad when i receive it and find they have airbrushed The Fly out of all the "classic" scenes etc. I REALLY hope they don't retcon Fly-Girl into scenes where it was actually The Fly.

I'll calm down now and wait to see what it's actually like.

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Nice job bringing the picture in. Thanks!!
Yeah, no FLY.!!
Disappointing. BIG "DOWNER"!!

I, too, wonder what's going to happen involving The Fly's part in all of this drama.
And, the part played by The Spider. Seems a new origin of The Crusaders may be called for.

Glad you are going to be able to get this LEGACY OF THE CRUSADERS!!

That aside, nice cover. I was still hoping for a separate title of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.!!

Looks like I'll have to be satisfied with a story and reprints.

( I still don't like the Alex Toth Black Hood. He did three issues ...and maybe a couple of other stories ..compared to decades of The Black Hood in his Original yellow and black costume and we will get the Toth stuff. Granted, he's a great artist...I just wished he would have gone with the "classic" look.)

Still, it looks like a "classic" issue from Red Circle and a really fun read. Impressive cover.!!

I hope The Crusaders re-form....The Hangman and Black Hood get out of prison, MR. JUSTICE isn't destroyed.... and we get some GREAT ADVENTURES OF THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.

Although this COULD BE the first issue of THE LEGACY OF THE CRUSADERS....on-going!!
(I hope!..but it's not.)

Wonder why they show FIREBALL watching the movie. Must have shown the movie before his demise.

Oh, and I wish that THE WIZARD returns, kicks The Brain Emperor's rear-end, renews his friendship with The Shield, and joins THE CRUSADERS, too.

How 'bout you.??? Do you want anything special?? ,!-- s[8^0) -->[8^0),!-- s[8^0) --> (Besides, like me, the return of The Fly.??)

Calum, maybe you could start a new thread entitled: LEGACY OF THE CRUSADERS ...with the picture and the text.??? Others could speculate on the up-coming book. Just a suggestion.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well, i just read Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issues 1-13 again (so now i know where Deadly Force came from, as well as a couple of other continuity bits and pieces), and what i would like to actually see is the resolution of those plot threads in some way. Delta III and then Omega 8 (ha! isn't that a vitamin?), as well as the undisclosed spy in the Crusaders' midst (in 12 and 13 many clues are dropped as to the identity of which hero has been secretly spying on the group and reporting back to the government, someone they would "least expect") i think it would be incendiary if it turned out to be The Shield, and he had hidden it, all these years, perhaps that's got something to do with the Crusaders originally breaking up? Perhaps they never knew?

And the getting out of prison thing, to me, is less immediately important than telling the story (or stories hopefully) that connect the gaps between Mighty Crusaders 13 and the situation as it is now, ie: how did they all get into prison in the first place? Why is Deadly Force apparently no longer trying to kill Black Hood like he was last time we saw him?

They can tie it up, possibly, with other unresolved things like Kip Burland's sudden personality change (and instant cigar addiction) in the wake of his uncle's death in MC 12 etc etc. They have set up many good story opportunities here, and they have promised to use their back continuity constructively, i simply hope they continue to do so until all the back threads are explained, to be honest, and somehow i think that is what they will do.

Speaking of Black Hood, there were three issues of the Black Hood in the 80s (plus two BH Blue Ribbon issues as well as the super-hero spectacular) but i am fairly sure Toth didn't do any Black Hood interior art, just the covers for issues 2 and 3, and the art for the incredibly good backup stories of The Fox (definitely the best post-golden-age Fox stories i have ever seen, probably the Toth stuff is the best Fox stuff ever published, i think)*, i honestly don't recall him drawing the Black Hood though. I can easily check mind you. I seem to recall Gray Morrow did the art for the Black Hood sometimes (very stylistically similar to his Jon Sable run for First), which i liked for it's light and shade etc, even if it was a little bit too anatomically accurate and normal for my liking.

Yeah, i'm not a big one for starting new threads, i am heartily in favour of threads going wherever the participants want them to go! :-) also since there's about four of us here in total i hope we can all pretty much keep track of the discussion as it is! :-)

--
* - i might just mention Black Hood 2 and 3 were my first ever glimpse of Alex Toth's work and i loved it immediately. I've only seen his work now and again on other things (Black Canary for instance) since then, and have always enjoyed it, so i don't know if this makes me unfairly biased!

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well, i just read Mighty Crusaders vol 2 issues 1-13 again (so now i know where Deadly Force came from, as well as a couple of other continuity bits and pieces), and what i would like to actually see is the resolution of those plot threads in some way. Delta III and then Omega 8 (ha! isn't that a vitamin?), as well as the undisclosed spy in the Crusaders' midst (in 12 and 13 many clues are dropped as to the identity of which hero has been secretly spying on the group and reporting back to the government, someone they would "least expect") i think it would be incendiary if it turned out to be The Shield, and he had hidden it, all these years, perhaps that's got something to do with the Crusaders originally breaking up? Perhaps they never knew?

And the getting out of prison thing, to me, is less immediately important than telling the story (or stories hopefully) that connect the gaps between Mighty Crusaders 13 and the situation as it is now, ie: how did they all get into prison in the first place? Why is Deadly Force apparently no longer trying to kill Black Hood like he was last time we saw him?

They can tie it up, possibly, with other unresolved things like Kip Burland's sudden personality change (and instant cigar addiction) in the wake of his uncle's death in MC 12 etc etc. They have set up many good story opportunities here, and they have promised to use their back continuity constructively, i simply hope they continue to do so until all the back threads are explained, to be honest, and somehow i think that is what they will do.

>>>I agree. I'm hoping for some answers to all those questions.
To tie up the history between MIGHTY CRUSADERS #13 and The NEW CRUSADERS #1 should be fun to see.
I'm especially wanting to see the adventure with the photo: "You remember how it all started."
THAT could be the start of something REALLY big!!

Speaking of Black Hood, there were three issues of the Black Hood in the 80s (plus two BH Blue Ribbon issues as well as the super-hero spectacular) but i am fairly sure Toth didn't do any Black Hood interior art, just the covers for issues 2 and 3, and the art for the incredibly good backup stories of The Fox (definitely the best post-golden-age Fox stories i have ever seen, probably the Toth stuff is the best Fox stuff ever published, i think)*, i honestly don't recall him drawing the Black Hood though. I can easily check mind you. I seem to recall Gray Morrow did the art for the Black Hood sometimes (very stylistically similar to his Jon Sable run for First), which i liked for it's light and shade etc, even if it was a little bit too anatomically accurate and normal for my liking.

>>>Yes, you are right. (I shouldn't rely on memory.) The Toth stuff on THE FOX WAS really great stuff. And it was Gray Morrow who drew THE BLACK HOOD that I didn't like because he was out of his "Classic" costume.

Yeah, i'm not a big one for starting new threads, i am heartily in favour of threads going wherever the participants want them to go! :-) also since there's about four of us here in total i hope we can all pretty much keep track of the discussion as it is! :-)

>>>You're probably right. Someone will probably start a new thread when the book gets closer to release instead of finding the cover down here on "Alternate Crusaders". *

- i might just mention Black Hood 2 and 3 were my first ever glimpse of Alex Toth's work and i loved it immediately. I've only seen his work now and again on other things (Black Canary for instance) since then, and have always enjoyed it, so i don't know if this makes me unfairly biased!

>>>Yeah, you and a lot of other Toth fans. He did a wonderful ZORRO, and a bunch of classic stuff.

Sounds like THE FOX is returning....and who is that girl on the table.?? "Starburst Girl"??? Real...or android??

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!