Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! The Pulp Adventures Of The Hooded Detective [Paperback]

The Pulp Adventures Of The Hooded Detective [Paperback]

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

GWhitmore User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

As most of you know I'm always on the look out for new Crusaders material, often finding them in the strangest places. While reading Steranko's History of Comics the other night, I came a cross a reference in the pulp section about the Black Hood appearing in 3 stories from 2 pulps in Nov 1941 - Dec 1942: Black Hood Detective and the Hooded Detective. These are also mentioned on Rik's site under Media :Pulps. On a lark, I searched Amazon for these tales, only to find they had all been collected in a paperback reprint in 2008!

http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Adventures-Hooded-Detective/dp/1440438277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299149430&sr=8-1#_

So now I'm reading these original stories and will post my thoughts when i finish.

Gregg
"We are all but Strangers in Paradise...."

Thanks for the info on the Black Hood pulp adventures! The Black Hood was MLJ/Archie's most successful multimedia character that was not a humor feature! Not only did he appear in those three pulp adventure magazines, he appeared in a short lived radio show. Archie followed with a radio show, a long running comic strip, cartoons, and a live action tv movie featuring the Archie as an older (similar to the Married Life of Archie stories). Josie and the . Cats had a cartoon and a great movie. Sabrina the teenage witch had a long running live action tv show and cartoons.

I always thought Archie would be great if they used the Riverdale characters in Saved by the Bell. Just for fun, did anyone noticed the parallels between Archie characters and the movie Starship Troopers? Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie, Mr. Weatherbee, and even Moose were "featured" in that movie. It made the movie more enjoyable.

As a fan of many movie serial cliffhangers, there was a tradition of having the hero being a masked hero. I easily imagine the Black Hood being in many of these classic movie serials. MLJ missed a chance.

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!