Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! The Circle Closes -- random thoughts (spoilers!)

The Circle Closes -- random thoughts (spoilers!)

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

GWhitmore User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Well, just read the last issue of the Mighty Crusaders mini. All in all, I enjoyed the Red Circle stories. I felt the missteps in terms of character and story were few. The new takes on the Shield, Web, Fox, Comet and Hangman were the standouts for me on this set of books. Fly Girl would have been better if she were blonde -- sorry I'm a traditionalist when it comes to her. That's my only complaint for her. The weakest characters were Inferno (an android? really? ick!), Black Hood (HATED this version!!!), and Jaguar (kind of blah). I thought the Persian was an excellent revision and would be a welcome replacement on the team for the much missed Darkling. I also thought War Eagle had potential but wasn't explored too well.

It's funny how with each telling of the Crusaders stories over the years -- from the original MLJ days until now -- we get a few gems to remember and the rest go away. With the exception of the 1960s Bill/Joe Shield, every interpretation of the Shield has been great. MLJ, Lancelot Strong, the 1980s Red Circle, Impact, current Red Circle -- all have been fascinating to watch.

Although I have a soft spot for the hen-pecked Web of the 1960s, this new version of the Web is now officially my favorite version.

Same with Hangman. Although I do like his weird MLJ stories, this interpretation gives the character mystic/occult powers. Granted the 1960s and Impact stories did too, but not as well. Although his back up stories were not as enjoyable, I think this reimagining has great potential.

Can't say enough about the new Fox! Excellent reimagining, fun story, only Toth's stories in the 1980s beat it.

The Comet is a weird one for me. I've actually liked each interpretation of the character over the years, but nothing out of any of his stories stand out. I wonder if an amalgam of all three would be possible -- the backstory of the original, the power level of the Impact version, and the personality and costume of the current one? If not, then the current one would be my favorite version. The new one certainly has the best costume and a sense of humor, something no one else has...

I still miss the Fly and the original Fly Girl. Although I was surprised to see a new interpretation of FG in the latest series of books, the originals are still the best in my eyes.

Admittedly, I still like the Impact Jaguar the best of all the different Jaguars we've seen. So sue me! :) And the original is still ok... not so much this new one.

My favorite Black Hood is still Gray Morrow's. This new one needs to be forgotten immediately. Horrible character-- blehhh. Same with Inferno. If we never see these two again, it'll be too soon. My apologies to anyone who liked these interpretations -- they weren't my cup of tea.

I wish we'd seen Steel Sterling in the current books. I still like the 1980s version of this character the best.

Still and all, I'd rather see any Crusaders/ MLJ heroes than none at all. I wonder what's next for these hard-luck heroes?

Gregg
"We are all but Strangers in Paradise...."

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

GWhitmore wrote:
... Inferno (an android? really? ick!) ...

Wasn't the original Human Torch an android?

GWhitmore User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I have nothing against androids, android heroes, robots, etc. But I felt like it was a cheat to give us the idea that Inferno and Frank were human only to be revealed as a robot/ android. If that's the case, why do they need to change body types when Inferno appears? It doesn't make a whole lotta sense and it smacked of a "Terminator" ish kind of shock -- except it was flat and done poorly.

The idea that two humans sharing one body and each "takes turns" being in control is kind of unique. That one of the 2 bodies has superpowers is also kind of unique. But this mishmash of stuff didn't gel at all. Just my opinion, of course....

Gregg
"We are all but Strangers in Paradise...."

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

GWhitmore wrote:
I have nothing against androids, android heroes, robots, etc. But I felt like it was a cheat to give us the idea that Inferno and Frank were human only to be revealed as a robot/ android. If that's the case, why do they need to change body types when Inferno appears? It doesn't make a whole lotta sense and it smacked of a "Terminator" ish kind of shock -- except it was flat and done poorly.

The idea that two humans sharing one body and each "takes turns" being in control is kind of unique. That one of the 2 bodies has superpowers is also kind of unique. But this mishmash of stuff didn't gel at all. Just my opinion, of course....

Gregg

I am inclined to agree with you Gregg; the human changing into superhuman body was enough; or have him as a powered android without the change but as you say it is too many ingredients.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

OK ... So now what?

FLOOD1976 User avatar
Good
Good

I guess we will have to wait and see, I just hope that we have not seen the last of them in the DCU.I really enjoyed reading The Web and the Mighty Crusaders

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!