Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! Red Circle future in 2011???

Red Circle future in 2011???

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:58 pm
FLOOD1976 User avatar
Good
Good

Any guess if we will see the MC in late 2011 ???

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 pm
geezerfan User avatar
Poor
Poor

I wish it were otherwise, but...

...given the sales figures, I'm thinking that at any time during the next three months, we may encounter on the web some indication that DC has returned the characters to Archie, because;
1) ...the best way to make the characters popular is to put them all over the DCU,
2) ...doing that will endanger reprints, once the characters revert,
3) ...thus, the best option for DC is to purchase the characters outright,
4) ...which Archie won't do, as selling the characters reduces Archie's value as a company.

Work that logic backwards, and where you arrive at is: the only strategy that might make the characters work is the strategy that simply won't be done. Therefore, there is now no reason for DC to hang on to the license...which is too bad.

geezerfan

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:11 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

I think you make some very astute points, geezerfan.

If the license does revert to Archie, I hope they don't let it languish once again.

If (hypothetically speaking) Archie were then to publish these characters again, there is an argument that they would either need yet another reboot (since it has been so long since they starred in Archie books of their own); or that Archie may be best off using the DC-Red Circle iterations as a launch template.

With Archie's own pretty poor track record with these characters, and with DC dropping the ball in any number of ways, I think my biggest hope to see books regularly is that DC may try one final time.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm
Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
With Archie's own pretty poor track record with these characters, and with DC dropping the ball in any number of ways, I think my biggest hope to see books regularly is that DC may try one final time.

Wow, my biggest hope is Marvel, Dark Horse or an independent picks 'em up; any company other than Archie and DC!!!

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:50 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Wow, my biggest hope is Marvel, Dark Horse or an independent picks 'em up; any company other than Archie and DC!!!

I think you are right in an ideal world Captain; DH of the bunch would be the coolest.

Marvel are investing in their Crossgen relaunch, have a number of side imprints, and so don't make sense to me as a logical home. Yes, Dark Horse could be a great home, but they are trying out their own latest superheroes with Gold Key, and Dark Horse haven't had much long-term sucess with superheroes have they? I suppose that is why I suggest that DC may be the best bet, even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Maybe BOOM! would be a better choice, if we as readers had the choice.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm
minton User avatar
Good
Good

Why did DC even go through with licensing the characters just to lose them again? Is there any chance that DC and Archie could co-establish an offshoot publishing house under the 'Red Circle' imprint? Will there ever be another appearance of the Mighty Comics, Impact or DCU iterations? (I know that Archie will keep the MLJ guys popping up every now and then for copyright purposes).

I would love to see a line that would pick and choose from among all versions of each character- We could even have a whole team of Shields, like the Shield Squad or Force or something, and they would be known by Shield One, Shield Two/ or Shield Alpha, Shield Gamma, etc. We could have the Society of the Black Hood, etc. I dunno, but with the right writers and artists . . .

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

minton wrote:
Is there any chance that DC and Archie could co-establish an offshoot publishing house under the 'Red Circle' imprint?

That's a great idea, but I doubt it will happen. The comic's second issue sold less than 7000 copies in August, a 25% decrease from the month before. In fact, titles like SONIC, GREEN HORNET & THE LONE RANGER were bigger sellers! The Captain will continue to insist had the original characters (NOT "re-imagined" versions) been put on a bigger DC Universe stage (guesting with The Batman in THE BRAVE & THE BOLD), the results would be different. But I digress...

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
minton wrote:
Is there any chance that DC and Archie could co-establish an offshoot publishing house under the 'Red Circle' imprint?

That's a great idea, but I doubt it will happen. The comic's second issue sold less than 7000 copies in August, a 25% decrease from the month before. In fact, titles like SONIC, GREEN HORNET & THE LONE RANGER were bigger sellers! The Captain will continue to insist had the original characters (NOT "re-imagined" versions) been put on a bigger DC Universe stage (guesting with The Batman in THE BRAVE & THE BOLD), the results would be different. But I digress...

The counter-argument is that DC is already awash with non-powered heroes, of which the MLJ has a plethora. Even just taking the more individual powered heroes, I can't see a solid argument to say they could/would have been any more successful had they been used instead of the re-imagined versions.

I agree on the Brave and the Bold springboard likely leading to better exposure and so hopefully greater success, but that factor is independent of the original vs. re-imagined argument.

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:28 pm
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
I can't see a solid argument to say they could/would have been any more successful had [the original characters] been used instead of the re-imagined versions.

I thought the short, new Fly story in Organic Comix STRANGE #9 was a very creative and unique effort using the original Tom Troy character in a modern setting. http://www.mightycrusaders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2988

We'll just have to agree to disagree. 'Nuff said.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Captain Sprocket wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
I can't see a solid argument to say they could/would have been any more successful had [the original characters] been used instead of the re-imagined versions.

I thought the short, new Fly story in Organic Comix STRANGE #9 was a very creative and unique effort using the original Tom Troy character in a modern setting. http://www.mightycrusaders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2988

We'll just have to agree to disagree. 'Nuff said.

I haven't read it yet (hope to evetually!), so cannot comment on quality. The point I make is simply that there is no empirical way of determining if using the original versions would have been more successful that the reimagined versions. :)

I have felt the DC-Red Circle books have been among the highest quality of my monthly reads, but sales haven't reflected that. The original charcters could and still can be used in great stories, I just suggest there is still no real guarantee of success in using them. Equally, the counter-argument also prevails, that there is no greater probability of success in using reimagined versions.

In which case then the question is apparent: given the wealth of false dawns/relaunches (original or re-imagined), are these a set of characters that just cannot capture an audience? I don't think so. Instead I just feel that two companies on the whole have badly managed them for a number of reasons.

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:01 pm
First Circle

Hopefully this will get through.The confirmation code is only my best guess.Red Circle was doomed by two factors.Price may have been one although i had no problem with 3.99 as long as the back stories continued.However,dropping the conclusion of Inferno to hammer in the Fox back story was a major mistake.It was the first indication the books were in trouble and DC was rushing things along just to finish things off.Story lines in both Shield and Web needed to conclude in their respective books before Mighty Crusaders were launched and the lineup needed to remain the original four to remain strong and avoid the mess of too many characters on the same page.Seriously, did War Eagle and Fly Girl even need to be on board this early? What the heck was the point to Comet or Black Hood being added to the roster this early in the teams career? What the heck was the point to the Shadow Crusaders? Actually moving up Fox and Jaguar and sidelining Hangman for awhile would have been a better idea. Somehow the mix of covert ops/alien invasion/trans dimensional occult was a crash and burn for me.This is the kind of mishmoss Marvel foists off as cosmic when all it really is is silly.

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm
DamonO1

According to this article, aspects are kinda bleak:

,!-- m -->, class="postlink" ,="http://www.newsarama.com/comics/red-circles-closes-mighty-crusaders-101215.html">http://www.newsarama.com/comics/red-cir ... 01215.html,!-- m -->

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 am
FLOOD1976 User avatar
Good
Good

I just read that newsarama article and the future does not look bright at all :( .I'm still hoping will get to see them in 2011 but considering that they have not appeared in any major DCU title I'm not going to hold my breath.I'm feeling very let down by DC

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:07 am
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

The 2nd time DC Comics has licensed the Archie Super Hero characters and the 2nd time the company has failed miserably. The Captain did not expect this revival to be successful. DC totally changed the characters, keeping only the names; same poor strategy as it took in 1991. If it ain't Batman or Green Lantern, DC can't do it. Bye bye, Mighty Crusaders!

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 am
FLOOD1976 User avatar
Good
Good

I really enjoyed the revamp look DC gave the Red Circle heroes but I do feel that the lied and betrayed us fans by saying that our heroes would be integrated in to the DCU and would play a central part of their universe. At no point did the Mighty Crusaders every really meet and interact with DC Big 7 :(

Next

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!