Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! Red Circle,DC and Archie Comics

Red Circle,DC and Archie Comics

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 am
Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:03 am
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Thanks for the link Rik.

It is an editorial, so the article takes a position; I just can't that say I either:
a) agree with the tone of the piece (I don't recall Lt. Higgins referring to anyone as 'rag heads', yet the writer infers that very thing in his text).

b) nor do I see a problem in DC's publishing of the books; they have not been successful, that is for certain, but then the MLJ superheroes/Mighty Crusaders have been in that position for decades now. Has DC's deal stoppedArchie publishing these characters? No - Archie made that decsion themselves in choosing to license them out.

Ultimately that piece seemed to be intended to trash the DC-Red Circle project; fine, the author has his opinion. In mine, I have read 26 good comic books that I have enjoyed immensely so far, so I cannot help but disagree with his position which seems to have been against the project from prior to its unveiling.

The only point I agree with would be someone like Rich Buckler or Roy Thomas overseeing an Archie superheroes line. However I ask this: without re-imaginings (and every character from supreman onwards in comic books has experienced re-imagining at some point), what kind of place could the MLJ superheroes find in the state they have been held in, within the modern comic book marketplace?
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

But the main point still stands. DC will not continue to publish these characters year in, year out. They will always be at the mercy of imminent crisis (or crucible perhaps) style events and reinterpretations every year or so, as long as they are at DC.

What i have seen of the DC versions impressed me art-wise, and there's a lot of imagination. A bit thin on plot perhaps, and that's not going to help sales. Really though here's the actual point:

These are Archie Adventure heroes. Archie has basically turned their back on them. This isn't because Archie hates their superheroes, it's because they don't sell and Archie isn't used to promoting superhero books nowadays. Nonetheless, as a fan, that's what i want to see. Archie comics doing its own superheroes in a regular comic book. Maybe even two regular comic books. The two cameos in Archie's Weird Mysteries were nothing like enough for me. I also agree that the approach taken by Red Circle in the 1980s was very promising and is a good starting point for a modern re-envisioning by Archie.

It's a shame so many fans have been so insulting about !mpact. I think it was excellent, and far better than the DC Red circle stuff. In my view !mpact was what Archie could have done with the characters if it had had the distribution machine DC had, i just think !mpact rolled out the characters far too fast (and the quality did go down in some titles, notably the Web and it was always below par in The Crusaders). Imagine expecting seven new titles to just sell well enough to keep the line going... was it set up to fail perhaps? Anyway, Archie would hopefully not set the line up to fail. I personally think if they ran two titles, say The Sheild and The Mighty Crusaders, both with rotating backup features, this would be fine for everyone concerned, assuming creative quality and competent distribution.
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm
leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Calum wrote:
But the main point still stands. DC will not continue to publish these characters year in, year out. They will always be at the mercy of imminent crisis (or crucible perhaps) style events and reinterpretations every year or so, as long as they are at DC.

What i have seen of the DC versions impressed me art-wise, and there's a lot of imagination. A bit thin on plot perhaps, and that's not going to help sales. Really though here's the actual point:

These are Archie Adventure heroes. Archie has basically turned their back on them. This isn't because Archie hates their superheroes, it's because they don't sell and Archie isn't used to promoting superhero books nowadays. Nonetheless, as a fan, that's what i want to see. Archie comics doing its own superheroes in a regular comic book. Maybe even two regular comic books. The two cameos in Archie's Weird Mysteries were nothing like enough for me. I also agree that the approach taken by Red Circle in the 1980s was very promising and is a good starting point for a modern re-envisioning by Archie.

It's a shame so many fans have been so insulting about !mpact. I think it was excellent, and far better than the DC Red circle stuff. In my view !mpact was what Archie could have done with the characters if it had had the distribution machine DC had, i just think !mpact rolled out the characters far too fast (and the quality did go down in some titles, notably the Web and it was always below par in The Crusaders). Imagine expecting seven new titles to just sell well enough to keep the line going... was it set up to fail perhaps? Anyway, Archie would hopefully not set the line up to fail. I personally think if they ran two titles, say The Sheild and The Mighty Crusaders, both with rotating backup features, this would be fine for everyone concerned, assuming creative quality and competent distribution.

Re-reading this post again, I have to agree with so many points. I think the !mpact era was a good burst of books on the whole for me, even though that time has passed. That said i think there is room to launch a couple of titles, with charcters drawn from the best iterations of the properties (no need to be enslaved to continuity at this stage), as all-ages books that could also act as a premise for other media licensing.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 pm
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

wow! i forgot i wrote all that! re-reading it now though, i am sad, and happy, to see i was right. DC have had another couple of Crisis events since then, the most recent one finally wiped my other all time favourite super hero line (the JSA) from the map in any recognisable form, as well as their version of Red Circle.

I am very happy to see that basically what i had hoped for from Archie is finally coming to fruition though! :-)
PS: Hey! Check out my music at http://www.calumsmusic.com and fill your ears with happiness!

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

I agree. Ian, Paul, the Brain Trust, and all those who are helping to make this take on the heroes go so well, are doing really GREAT so far.

THE NEW CRUSADERS is exciting and fun.
The LOST CRUSADE looks to be an exciting excursion into the past ...to tie up loose ends and make THE RED CIRCLE more whole, again.

I had real hopes for our heroes at DC but DC dropped the ball.
They (DC) really know how to disappoint.

THIS is the best start for our heroes since the 1983-Rich Buckler start with THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS.
Well worth supporting with our dollars.!! And in any other way.!!

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Can i ask, when you're referring to the Lost Crusade, is this the material that's finding its way into the print magazines as backup features?

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
Can i ask, when you're referring to the Lost Crusade, is this the material that's finding its way into the print magazines as backup features?

I think the answer is "yes".
"Lost Crusade" seemed to start in NEW CRUSADERS #2...PRELUDE.

Then, it seemed to turn into "LEGACY".....and there is talk that Chuck Dixon and others are going to "tie up loose ends" from the end of THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS (#13??)... to "Red Circle" NEW CRUSADERS #1.
So, I guess we will see "The Lost Crusade" in the back-up feature.

I thought they were going to do a second book dealing with the "Lost Crusade" but I guess I was wrong. (Darn it. Yeah, I was hoping for "The Return of the Mighty Crusaders"!!)

This is the latest: Friday, February 15th, 2013 at 7:58 PST
Kaminski: "What I can also tease is that in regards to the time between "Rise of the Heroes" and "Dark Tomorrow," we're going to be releasing a special graphic novel called "Legacy of The Crusaders." That will come out in July, and it will take place in between our two series. It will include a new story that will wrap around some reprints of classic "Mighty Crusaders" comics to give readers a clearer picture of the history and legacy of these characters."....

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 pm
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

well there's no mention of that on the site i'm using for subscriptions. Expensive ebay purchase from the USA ahead for me. Again. That's if it ever comes out... ;-)

For any readers following me, link here mentiones the above: ,!-- m -->, class="postlink" ,="http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43778">http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=43778,!-- m -->

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
well there's no mention of that on the site i'm using for subscriptions. Expensive ebay purchase from the USA ahead for me. Again. That's if it ever comes out... ;-)

For any readers following me, link here mentiones the above: ,!-- m -->, class="postlink" ,="http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43778">http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=43778,!-- m -->

Maybe we can help you.
Evil Bay should not take advantage of you.
I'll try to help you, if I can.

It'll come out. I've got faith in these guys.
And if you can't get it from Archie, I'll help you.

OK.!??

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 am
Calum User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

definitely, i certainly need to find a copy when it comes out, that's for sure.
Much appreciated. Once it's out, or solicited anyway, i'll see if i'm able to order it and get back to you. :-)

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 pm
captainzero User avatar
Gem Mint
Gem Mint

Calum wrote:
definitely, i certainly need to find a copy when it comes out, that's for sure.
Much appreciated. Once it's out, or solicited anyway, i'll see if i'm able to order it and get back to you. :-)

Sounds good, Calum. No Red Circle fan from Scotland should be abused by E-bay(Evil bay).

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!