Board index The Mighty Crusaders Network MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD! Editorial: "So why is 'Batman, Inc.' such a good idea?"

Editorial: "So why is 'Batman, Inc.' such a good idea?"

This is the Message Board for the Mighty Crusaders Network!

Moderators: Captain Sprocket, leonmallett, Rik

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

A very thoughtful article, and a challenge to DC. Yours Captain? If so, kudos, and thanks for sharing it with us.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

Captain Sprocket User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

leonmallett wrote:
A very thoughtful article, and a challenge to DC. Yours Captain? If so, kudos, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you. Rik asked me to write it. The subject was his idea based on the Grant Morrison interview by Geoff Boucher in the Los Angeles Times and, since it is an editorial, it allowed me to state how I really feel about what DC and Archie have done with the latest attempt at reviving The Mighty Crusaders.

Rik User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

Great stuff!
Rik
http://www.mightycrusaders.net
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mighty Crusaders, from the Golden Age to today.

minton User avatar
Good
Good

Nice article! I love that picture of Shield and Black Hood mixing it up with Batman! I had always thought that anytime a comics company can get to use other companies' good guys, they should immediately set about making them fight their own top good guys. It's always fun to see heroes fight heroes because it is intriguing to find out the reasons to get them into the fight and how it will be resolved, since it isn't clear who should be defeated. It isn't a situation where one party is committing crimes and must be stopped.

Same thing with villains. Since the opponents are both bad guys, it isn't clear who to side with, and thus more fun. For example, if Marvel got Darkseid, they should immediately set him against Galactus. Dr. Doom against Lex Luthor, etc.

So rather than, let's say, the Crusaders fighting Joker and Riddler, it is better to set them against Batman himself (I imagine that Superman is just too powerful for the Crusaders). Then, readers are intrigued to figure out why these heroes are attacking a good guy, and how they will match up against him, because it isn't as though DC writers are going to allow the Batman to be beaten by the Crusaders, but they aren't going to introduce these characters just to roll over and not put up a good fight, either.

Or maybe Crusaders could have been introduced fighting the Justice Society, set in the 40's?

MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

So maybe the 'franchised superhero' thing isn't a good idea after all ...

BATMAN, INC. Sales (from comicsbeat.com)

15 - BATMAN, INC.
11/2010: Batman, Inc. #1 -- 95,587
12/2010: Batman, Inc. #2 -- 71,544 (-25.2%) [72,957]
01/2011: --
02/2011: --
03/2011: Batman, Inc. #3 -- 66,772 (- 6.7%)
03/2011: Batman, Inc. #4 -- 65,315 (- 2.2%)
04/2011: Batman, Inc. #5 -- 62,204 (- 4.8%)
05/2011: Batman, Inc. #6 -- 60,480 (- 2.8%)
06/2011: Batman, Inc. #7 -- 56,108 (- 7.2%)
07/2011: --
08/2011: Batman, Inc. #8 -- 53,481 (- 4.7%)
----------------
6 months: n.a.

Originally, this was supposed to be 12 issues, then cut to 10, and now there’s a big, triple-sized one-shot special on the schedule for December to wrap up Grant Morrison’s Batman epic. Sales have suffered quite a bit in recent months.

leonmallett User avatar
MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

'Cancelled' isn't quite the full story however, since it is supposed to be coming back next year - I guess it would/could have continued except for the line-wide reboot.
Discovering new superhero worlds through the MLJ/Mighty Crusaders legacy...

MightyCrusaders.net
MightyCrusaders.net

From Wikipedia: As part of the 2011 DC Universe reboot, DC Comics is planning to continue the series in early 2012, to be renamed BATMAN: LEVIATHAN.

Return to MIGHTY CRUSADERS MESSAGE BOARD!